We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Chester

ballarat
Level Contributor
79 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
London to Chester

Help, we are on a budget. We have a Zone 1-6 Travelcard. We want to catch a train to last station in Zone 6 to get a hire car to drive to Chester. Which station would that be and would that area have hire cars nearby?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Chester

Are you returning to London?

I searched National Rail and found there's a direct train to Chester from Euston, with no changes and the fare (for an advance single) was 20.50GBP (one way). If you are travelling on from Chester (ie not back to London), you could collect a car there. The train journey is only about 2 hours if you take the direct train; 2hrs 40 mins with one change. The trains are really nice.

It might be a good idea if you could post more details of your plans ie if you want to collect the car outside London, drive to Chester and then go back to London or if the desired end location is Chester and not back to London etc (and as much detail as you can - the locals on the London board are really helpful and knowledgeable, but they need details to be able to advise you).

ballarat
Level Contributor
79 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Chester

Yes we are returning to London. Thought we would get as far out of London on our Travelcard as we can, pick up a hire car (maybe Oxford?)head to Chester area for two nights, then one night in Wales and back towards London to drop off the car. The travelcard has been prepurchased, Zone 1-6, not sure how far that gets us. Any ideas would be great.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Chester

I don't think the travelcard will get you as far as Oxford. On our last trip, we had a zone 1-6 travelcard and the LondonPass, so we could travel as far as Windsor without paying extra, but without the Pass we would have had to pay a small top-up fare to get to Windsor. Which hire car company are you thinking of? 1car1 has a branch in Sydney and if you book with them you pay with the little Aussie bleeder, rather than GBP. If you are hiring for more than 5 days, they'll pick you up from the station, take you back to the office to fill in the paperwork and then you're on your way. Do you have a GPS? If you do, I suggest downloading the UK maps - that was invaluable (my sister has a TomTom OneXL and we were able to download maps for the whole of the UK onto an SD card for only about $100 - it was cheap at twice the price!)

Cheers

Susan

ballarat
Level Contributor
79 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Chester

Thanks so much Susan, Is Windsor on the road heading towards Chester? I will check out that car hire, thanks Helen

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,561 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Chester

Why not do a one way hire then take the train back to London.

The obvious place to hire the car is Heathrow as a) there's plenty of choice, b) it's accessible by Tube & c) it's straight onto the motorway

You could of course do it in the reverse direction and take the train to Chester,hire there then drive to London / Heathrow which may be slightly cheaper in terms of car hire

ballarat
Level Contributor
79 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Chester

Thanks, Is it easy to get on the road to Chester from Heathrow?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Chester

If it was me, I'd train it to and from Chester and hire a car there. YOu'll see so much more from the train window than you will driving because you'll be concentrating on the roads, looking out for turnoffs etc. Chester is a lovely (no, beautiful) city and you would easily rent a car from there. On our last trip (earlier this year) we rented a car for 5 weeks and, once I'd gotten used to multi-laned roundabouts (some that even have traffic lights WITHIN the roundabout ....) and once I'd stopped turning on the wipers instead of indicating LOL I found driving easy. But, I found the trucks on the motorways challenging (they often change lanes without indicating) so I tried to hang back a bit to keep away from them. However, drivers are generally extremely polite and I never had any really scary moments. I wouldn't drive anywhere near London though :-)

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Chester

What MarmaladeT said, train to Chester and rent there its very doubtful you'd save much (if any) money plus its a lot more time and hassle to use a train for what wont be much of the total distance, when you can get the whole way there on a train for a reasonable fare.

I think you have an exaggerated idea of just how far a Zone 6 pass will take you (did you already buy it, its not often necessary to have one?) If you are on a budget, unless you are travelling outside central London much, a Zone1-2 pass might have been a better(cheaper) idea (I realise this is not much use to you but maybe for future readers of this thread)

Windsor is nowhere near Chester nor is it on the way, the previous poster was just using that as an example of somewhere very close to london thats not covered by a Z6 pass, eg a Z6 pass doesn't take you that far out.

ballarat
Level Contributor
79 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London to Chester

Hi Joe, We are in London from 18-31 Oct(minus our 3 days away) thought the Zone 1-6 would have been useful. Paid $400 AUD (182 GBP) for 2 people for 2 weeks, is that expensive for unlimited travel? What is the cheapest way to get to Chester, by train or Bus? We can then hire a car for two days while we are there. Any suggestiuons while we are in London, want to get out and amongst the locals. Thanks Helen

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London to Chester

the cheapest I found was 69GBP (for 2 people) leaving on 21 October and returning on 23 October (they were just random dates), so 34.50GBP each return. To quote David Dickinson - "cheap as chips"

I looked on the National Rail website

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/pj/fa

happy searching!

Susan