We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January in London?

Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
867 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
January in London?

I know this question has probably been asked a million times before, but here it is goes:

a) Is January a good (i.e. cheap) time to visit London?

b) What's the cheapest time in the year to visit London?

Thanks in advance, guys!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,617 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January in London?

Well the January sales will be on so you might find some bargains. Hotel rates have been holding up but it's quite possible some of the higher end hotels will have some very good deals.

Restaurants and attractions keep the same prices year round (remember many of best museums have free entry) so there isn't really one month above all others that is cheaper but if there was, January could well be it.

Does that make some sort of sense?

Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
867 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January in London?

Absolutely. Thank you very much indeed.

USA
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January in London?

As there is not a much daylight in January you spend a lot of the time in the dark and from past experience it can get pretty cold.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: January in London?

I like January (or any winter month). I usually find good airfare sales online which helps. As Adam mentioned - the attraction prices don't change and hours for atractions tend to be shorter since there is less daylight. I have found January to be warmer by a few degrees than NYC at the same time.

SoCal
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: January in London?

I was in London in January several years ago and had a great time. True, the daylight hours are truncated, but since most attractions are only open from 10 AM to 6 PM, the main impact is in the late afternoon for those activities. The weather was clear and cold during my visit, but it could easily be wet and cold-the temperature was not much different from day to night, and the coldest was in the mid to high 30s F. A definite plus was the complete absence of crowds-during a visit to Bath, I was one of 4 or 5 people in the Roman Baths (as opposed to the 50-75 in the site during our recent visit), and the British Museum was equally sparse of visitors, so the sightseeing was very unhurried and relaxing. You will definitely get lower cost flights and hotel accommodations in January-many airlines and hotel chains run specials to attract business during that timespan. I say go for it if that time works best for you.

Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
867 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: January in London?

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

florida
Level Contributor
812 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: January in London?

We will be in London from 12/26-1/03. What will weather be like? Trying to decide what to pack!

Thanks

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,176 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: January in London?

The weather in December will be as unpredictable as it is at most other times of year. The forecast for the next few days is for highs between 16-20C which is wonderfully balmy for October, but the weather gods could zap things, with Saturday chilly and 10C.

Watch the predictions from the 20th on and hope for the best. I'm leaving for London on Wednesday night but (with a few exceptions) won't decide on what to take until Wednesday morning.

London, United...
Level Contributor
571 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: January in London?

In regard as to what to wear in london in January, I would suggest warm clothes - coat, hat, gloves - if you are going to be outside much - and layers for inside as we heat our buildings pretty effectively. Jan and Feb tend to be our coldest months.

Bernie.

Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
867 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: January in London?

Thank you, guys!