We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for 4 days with 11 year old

Toowoomba, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Itinerary for 4 days with 11 year old

My family are travelling to London for the first time in mid September. My daughter and I have four days staying in central London while my husband and son are in France on a battlefield tour. Then we will all have 5 days in London together, so I don't want to cover sights that the guys will want to see.

We have tickets to Mary Poppins one evening, so I thought I'd keep that day easy. A friend suggested a day trip to Windsor. And I thought a trip to The V & A, science museum and Harrods might be on the cards. That leaves a couple of days to fill. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

England
Level Contributor
340 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for 4 days with 11 year old

It's a bit difficult when you are restricted by 'not wishing to go to the sights the guys will want to see', as I expect they'd want to see most. You could go to Madame Tussaud's - my kids loved this. You could visit Wimbledon and the tennis museum (District Line and then a walk from Southfields) You could visit Kenwood House on Hampstead Heath - a nice collection of Gainsboroughs and shoe bucklest (yes, shoe buckles) are in there, and there are some nice eating places too (northern line tube)

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for 4 days with 11 year old

Have you thought about Kew Gardens - or do the men want to do that? The Dale Chihuly Exhibition currently running is incredible. REally worth visiting. Depending on your son's age (if he is older than your daughter) then the two of you might consider going to Legoland. 11 years old is probably about the upper limit to enjoy Legoland.

Take Care.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for 4 days with 11 year old

Oz2europe take her shopping while there are no men around! She will love Topshop in Oxford Circus and the food halls in Harrods. Aso Covent Garden has a great atmosphere and lots of quirky little shops and street entertainers. Your son will probably like the Science museum more than her so save that for both of them.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for 4 days with 11 year old

What about Hampton Court Palace? Windsor is a good suggestion also, we really enjoy it there and there is plenty to look at as well as some good shopping and places to eat.

If your daughter is into shopping perhaps Oxford Street is a good idea, as long as neither of you mind fighting your way through the crowds. You could also try South Kensington.

The following website gives good ideas on what to do with your kids in London but most of them are probably better saved for when both children are here. www.londonnet.co.uk/ln/out/ent/kids.html

For kids own reviews of London places to visit, have a look at www.kidslovelondon.com.

Hope this helps!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for 4 days with 11 year old

Maybe you and your daughter could attend an Afternoon Tea - or do a little shopping?

There are also a lot of London Walks (www.walks..com) that you could do - Like the Little Venice Walk - then take a ride on one of the canal boats. Or maybe a day in Greenwich.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
338 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for 4 days with 11 year old

Windsor and shopping in Covent Garden are both good ideas. Also, Kensington Palace--great display of Queen Elizabeth's and Princess Diana's clothing.

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for 4 days with 11 year old

As the boys will already have visited battlefields then a trip you could all do together would be to the War Museum. They'd probably also enjoy the Cabinet War Rooms.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/

Toowoomba, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for 4 days with 11 year old

Thank you everyone for the great ideas. I didn't mention that the other "child" is 24 next month! My daughter loves shopping, so we will definitely look into going to Oxford Street and Covent Gardens. Though with our exchange rate, it may be mainly window shopping.

I definitely will look into each suggestion. Madam Tussauds, Kew Gardens, Kensington Palace and a London Walk sounds good, and I had considered afternoon tea, she is a little lady and I think she will be right in her element.

Yes, the cabinet war rooms and the war museum are down on the list when the guys get back.

Thanks again for all your help.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary for 4 days with 11 year old

Don't forget the Globe Theatre. Go early to get the guided tour. Our guide was excellent.

If the weather is nice, try taking a paddle-boat out on the "lake" in Hyde Park.

There are lots of great museum exhibits. The only one that really disappointed was the Hitchiker's Guide exhibit at the Science museum. We paid a lot and spent much more time (and had more fun) with the free part of the museum.

If you like shows, check out the 1/2 price ticket booth in Leicester Square each morning. Especially for matinee shows where you could get a decent seat for next-to-nothing.

My 16yo daughter got to see Ewan McGregor in "Guys and Dolls" and she's going to remember that for the rest of her life. The downside - it's the hot show right now and there are no discounted tickets.

London
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary for 4 days with 11 year old

Greenwich is definitely worth a visit - perhaps a half day. While the Cutty Sark may or may not be your cup of tea, its worth seeing (even just for a photo opportunity...). There are some lovely shops in Greenwich and the market is full of little stalls with great gifts, ethnic jewellry and really nice food, from cheeses to pastries to salamis to coffee in every flavour. There are also nice cafes for lunch and a glass of wine while you watch the world go by.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy!