We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much cash can we take out from uk?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
3 posts
Save Topic
How much cash can we take out from uk?

I want to go back to my country? What is the maximun limited of taking out the money?

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much cash can we take out from uk?

There is no official limit, but if you leave with 1000's you may have to account for how you got it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,647 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much cash can we take out from uk?

What is your country?

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,480 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much cash can we take out from uk?

Are you allowed to take piles of cash home ?

there are certainly restictions taking us$$ to and from the states

think $10000 is the limit there

all counties have rules - to stop money laundering

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,647 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much cash can we take out from uk?

If you are travelling to a country outside the European Union (EU), you will need to declare any sums of cash of 10,000 Euro or more (or the equivalent in another currency) to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).

You do not need to declare cash if you are travelling to another EU country.

london
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How much cash can we take out from uk?

Thailand

I tranfer 15,000 GBP.

I want to take it all out, can I do that?

london
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How much cash can we take out from uk?

I tranfer money to study here, and I cant study. I will go back to my country. I want to take money out. Can i do that?

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,647 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much cash can we take out from uk?

You need to declare it. See here: http://tinyurl.com/2nuajd

You also have to declare any amount exceeding USD 20,000 or its equivalent to the Customs Officer of the Kingdom of Thailand.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,036 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much cash can we take out from uk?

Did you transfer the money here or did you physically carry the £15,000 into the UK? If the latter, then you will have to answer some awkward questions when you leave the UK with all that cash.

I would recommend transferring it to your bank in Thailand. You will still need to answer some questions but dealing with a bank will be easier than dealing with HM Customs and Excise.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How much cash can we take out from uk?

Why the risk? Making a bank to bank transfer would be safer, you can do it express (48 hrs) for approx £28 from the U.K. bank, or don't you have one?

Carry this amount, you'll have to declare and answer questions as to how you came about the money. It won't look good if you don't declare and the money is found on you.

If you must take it, you'll need some account history

to identify where the money came from to avoid suspicion. AS long as it's 'clean' money and you can demonstrate it's yours there should be no big problem, just unnecessary hassle and risk IMO

Stoofer

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,826 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much cash can we take out from uk?

I certainly wouldn't take the risk. I don't know what the laws are in the UK and in your home country, but here in Australia if someone brings in (or takes out) more than AUD$10,000 (or the equivalent in other currency/ies) and fails to declare that they have that amount of currency, if they get caught the penalty (worst-case) is forfeiture of the money, plus court costs. I work for a solicitor and a client of ours sold some real estate here, took a variety of currencies (exceeding $10,000), got caught and lost the lot. That's not to say you can't take out more than $10,000, but you MUST declare it. It's to supposedly stop money laundering.