We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London New Years!

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
London New Years!

Hi!

Going to be in London (well Staines) for New Years this year and I'm curious as to what's on!

I know in my city (Brisbane) that they have fireworks in the city centre every year and it's usually so packed we stay home and watch it on the telly but if I'm going to be in London and a once in a lifetime opportunity (for me) to see it lit up by fireworks.

So questions...

1. Best place to view the fireworks?

2. How early should we get in there?

3. Would it be worth getting a hotel room for the night? (I've already looked up a few and found vacancies for new years)

4. Is it fantastic?

lol all replies appreciated!

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London New Years!

No one?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,819 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: London New Years!

Hi Jodie,

Here's my 'answers' to your questions:

1. The fireworks are based around the London Eye and some are set up on the Eye itself. It foes in effect become a large Caterine Wheel (albeit a non moving one). The best place to view them is opposite the Eye so anywhere between Westminster bridge and Jubilee bridges.

2. It does get vey packed down there so the earlier the better I would say. Another alternative viewing area if you don't want to be down there too early is on Waterloo Bridge. It won't be the best view of the Eye but there may be a bit more space.

3. In previous years the tubes have ran all night and are free but there is no guarantee that this will happen this year (especially as they also rely on corporate sponsorship). TFL normally announces this in early December. If you don't mind spending the money, I would get a hotel room just so that you can avoid travelling home with all the other thousands of people. Also, you can then be in Central London the next day for the New years Day parade (if you like that sort of thing) and of course all the shops will be open, as you're female I'm guessing shopping is definitely your thing :). More details of the parade at the link below:

http://www.londonparade.co.uk/

4. I would say they're fantastic but I've usually watched them on TV. They have got a lot better in the last couple of years and now last about 10 minutes. I can't access You Tube here at work but there but there is a video on there of the BBC's coverage. I'll see if I can find it when I'm at home tonight and will post a link.

Hope that helps.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,819 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: London New Years!

No need to wait until I get home for the You Tube link, I found it in an old post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4tqsQktE2w

The thread below may also help give you an idea of what to expect:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k162…

Cinnaminson, New...
Level Contributor
42 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London New Years!

This will be our first New Year's Eve in London. I LOVE fireworks, but hate crowds. So, I booked us on a Thames dinner cruise from 8 p to 1 a, so I can watch the fireworks from the water without being mobbed on the Embankment.

I'm sure if you Google, you could find something similar!

space coast, fl
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London New Years!

jbmanz, What company had the 8 to 1 dinner cruise?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
361 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London New Years!

Hopefully someone who has done the boat cruise can comment on what kind of view you get. I believe the fireworks are normally launched from a boat in the river so I am not sure where the dinner boats position themsleves.

Otherwise the crowds are huge and after a certain point it becomes impossible to move about and you can be a bit crrushed. There are limited toilet facilities and too many people end up relieving themselves where they stand.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,254 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London New Years!

This company are regulars on the river although their cruise lasts from 9.00pm to 2.00am - http://www.citycruises.com/newyear.htm

space coast, fl
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London New Years!

Thanks Adam for the link. A bit too pricy for me. I'll keep looking for something or someplace to be on New Years. Adam I'll be in Ruislip from Dec. 28 through Jan. 5. Maybe we can have a pub meet sometime then. It would be fun to see the TALF crew again! If not we could meet somewhere closer to Ruislip for a beer. I'm sure there are a few others close to Ruislip too!

Cinnaminson, New...
Level Contributor
42 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London New Years!

I booked with http://www.thamesluxurycharters.co.uk

They had lower priced disco cruises in addition to the dinner cruise. Check out Special Events.

space coast, fl
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London New Years!

Thanks jbmanz. We'll probably just end up in a crowded pub!