We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mind your Ps and Qs - Britspeak revisited

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
306 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mind your Ps and Qs - Britspeak revisited

Please forgive me for asking a language question here, but it keeps haunting me:

Where does the phrase: 'to mind one's Ps and Qs' come from? I know what that means (or so I think) but am puzzled about its origin. Can anybody help?

I've been getting up the courage to ask this question for a long time, but I've no idea how to keep it travel-related! Hope I won't be found out by the moderators and terminated!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mind your Ps and Qs - Britspeak revisited

Nobody is really sure. One theory is that it was a warning to type setters not to mix up the two letters as they looked very similar - especially since the type setter had to read them backwards.

Another theory is that it was a warning to bar tenders to keep track of "pints" and "quarts" as he tallied up a bar bill.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,391 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mind your Ps and Qs - Britspeak revisited

Mixed answers, and lots of them, I fear.

I suspect it's more the pints and quarts, esp if drinkers were allowed to mark slates for drinks consumed.

Found a reference that says it was an abbreviation for Prime Quality, a dialectical phrase from the 17th century, ensuring an attention to detail.

But then it could be the typesetter explanation, esp as typesetters had to be able to read the letters backwards. That opens the door to why not bs and ds, though......

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,206 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mind your Ps and Qs - Britspeak revisited

I like the typsetting theory but Nigel Rees in his excellent book 'A Word in your Shell-like" also suggests that

1) As the letters p and q look so alike a child might will be admonished to be careful writing them or

2) That Frenchmen had to be warned not to get their pieds (feet) mixed up with their queues (wig-tails) when bowing and scraping.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mind your Ps and Qs - Britspeak revisited

I always figured the P's were your pleases, and the Q's stood for the thank you (thankq)....but then I am a mere simple girl!

Topeka, KS, USA
Level Contributor
546 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mind your Ps and Qs - Britspeak revisited

Would love to see a little of Adam's #2!

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mind your Ps and Qs - Britspeak revisited

I always heard it was for pints and quarts, as to avoid having too much to drink and doing something you would rather not hear about the next morning....

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
314 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mind your Ps and Qs - Britspeak revisited

This might be interesting to some:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~genepool/sayings.htm

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
306 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mind your Ps and Qs - Britspeak revisited

And merci Salzang, the site is cool!

us
Level Contributor
477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Mind your Ps and Qs - Britspeak revisited

Very interesting theories. I have heard it all my life, but never thought of where it came from. Thanks Madge!