We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow Express or National Express better?

North America
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow Express or National Express better?

Three of us will be travelling with big suitcases and staying in the Knightsbridge ( Harrod's) area.

Which is better- Heathrow or National Express? or a taxi as we are coming in on Sunday and the traffic may be a little lighter?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,254 reviews
from US$127.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
456 reviews
from US$106.00*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,085 reviews
from US$150.40*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.90*
US$336.60
Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow Express or National Express better?

National Express is cheaper and will take you to London Victoria- the best bet would be the under-ground because surely you have handles to carry your bags and the under-ground would mean less changes- black cabs- however safe, friendly and good- are NOTORIOUSLY expensive!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow Express or National Express better?

Since you'll have lots of luggage, I would highly recommend Heathrow Express. It makes life alot easier and it only takes 15 minutes from the airport to Paddington Station. At Paddington, just walk outside the station to the taxi queue and cab it to the hotel. Between three of you, the taxi fare is not expensive - it's worth it! Enjoy!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
399 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow Express or National Express better?

Just come back from London��� A2 Airbus is operated by National Express. - It's route lays South of Hyde Park, down Bayswater Rd. With a light traffic, if you are coming on a weekend morning with Transatlantic flight, it would take about 30-40 min (from experience) Your hotel is N of Hyde Park. Park is pretty big; there is a paved road cut across it. It may be 15 - 20 min walk to get on the other side if you know where you are going. (I took some a trail and was lost there after dark) I would say you will need to take a cab from a bus stop. Will cost you 10 GBP or so.

Heathrow Express + cab combo may take a few minutes shorter and a few pounds more. The train will spit you out at the Paddington Station which is not far from the place where A2 bus would deposit you.

So, it comes to comfort and scenery. On a weekend, take a bus and see some of the city from second deck; when I took it, it was half-empty. There is a luggage rack at the entrance. On weekday, take a train to avoid traffic. Cab may be a good option on a weekend: I heard it's over 50GBP from Heathrow. Another option is a Hotellink minibus that takes you from Heathrow terminal and deposit at your hotel for 16GBP per person. Plug Hotelink minibus into your search engine.

If you don't mind a few steps, you may consider London Underground. Deep stations would have escalators, but there are a few steps that you might still need to take. Knightsbridge and Hyde Park Corner are both stops on Piccadilly Line, a direct line from Heathrow. They very well may be in a walking distance from your hotel. You may call or e-mail hotel to find out. It's 2.40 GBP per person and about 30 min.

Have a good trip.

Toronto ON
Level Contributor
677 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow Express or National Express better?

Bayswater Road is north of Hyde Park and Knightsbridge etc is south. If you are near Harrods, you are south of the park and west of Victoria.

Take Heathrow Express to Paddington and cab it from there to your hotel. Easy. Cab direct from Heathrow to your hotel is about 50 pounds plus 10% tip. The Heathrow Express/Cab combo will be about 38 pounds for 2 (26 pounds for the train, 12 for the cab. If you put your bags in the luggage place beside the driver, there is a small additional charge for that. If you take them in with you - the passenger area is quite large for 2 - there is no extra charge.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow Express or National Express better?

With respect to the A2 Airbus, Dimitry is somewhat confused with his geography. The bus route along Bayswater Road is on the north side of Hyde Park.

But it matters nought, because that service is being discontinued as of January 1, 2005.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
399 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow Express or National Express better?

Yes, of course, Bayswater is North of Hyde Park, and Harrod's is South. Sorry, too much of eggnog.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow Express or National Express better?

I always take the Heathrow or Gatwick Express when flying to London, I find the train service speedier and more luggage friendly than buses. If you book the Express tickets on line you get a discount.

Don't even think about travelling the underground or bus with heavy luggage, grab a taxi at the train station, Paddington (Heathrow Express) or Victoria (Gatwick Express).

FYI for returning from London to the airport, if you use one of the Express services, they have check-in desks for your luggage at the train stations, once checked-in AND with a boarding pass / seat designation for the flight, you don't have to worry about your luggage (or airport check-ins) until you arrive at your destination.

Hope you have a great holiday.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow Express or National Express better?

fyi - - while in Paddington Station a few weeks ago, I noticed a sign that said they will be closing the baggage check-in counters ( as of Nov. 30, I think?). So if you take the Heathrow Express, you will have to bring your luggage along. No big deal since there's handy racks just inside the doorway to each car. It's luxury compared to the tube!

North America
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow Express or National Express better?

To Londonlass:

when you mention that the bus is not luggage friendly, what do you mean?

Is there a long walk to either National Express bus or the Heathrow Express train?

Since there are 3 of us, does it work out to the same amount if we were to take a taxi to London centre?

Thanks

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,233 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow Express or National Express better?

Taxi would be about 50 pounds so for 3 it might be as cheap as the train. The tube on a Sunday won't be that busy and if your hotel is near Harrods, you take the Piccadilly Line to Knightsbridge - No changes. It's a good 5 minute walk from Terminal 3 to the tube station. Terminal 4 has it's own station but that is closing soon for building works. A single ticket from Jan 2nd is ��3.80. You pays your money you takes your choice!