We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with first 3 days of itinerary

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Durham, North...
Level Contributor
291 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Help with first 3 days of itinerary

We will arrive in London around 9:30am on Saturday Nov. 8. I'm assuming it will take a couple of hours to get to our apartment. This will put us there in the midst of the Lord Mayors parade. Plan to watch that on tv or try to find a spot to watch the return parade. Probably plan to explore around the Marylebone area, perhaps some of the markets there also, during this afternoon. Perhaps the Wallace Collection. Then later Sat night plan to experience the bonfires and fireworks.

Sunday Nov 9 will be Remembrance Day, which I hope to be able to experience that morning. I am not sure how to plan the rest of the day, however, with it being both a Sunday, and a special holiday.

Then that takes us to Monday when I am thinking of doing a HOHO tour first thing.

Tuesday we will probably choose as our day to go to Warwick.

Wednesday afternoon I'm planning for a Lion King matinee (though I have not gotten on the task of buying the tickets)

We then have Thurs through Monday for more touring (leave Tues Nov 18), however DH will not be with us Thurs, Fri, Sat, so I want to try to hit Tower of London, British Museum, Tate Modern, Imperial War Museum, Westminster Abbey on a day he can go (so not Thurs-Sat). The other things I'd most like to see myself are London Eye, St Paul's, Borough and Portobello Markets, British Library, South bank area. Then I guess next tier would be the Kensington Museums, gardens, palace, if time allows. I'm sure I'm missing some important ones as it is almost 3 am now, so forgive me!

How should I plan out those first few days (Sat, Sun, Mon)? I'd like to get in at least a few of the major sights then, but not sure really what is feasible for Sunday. I figure a HOHO tour is probably not the best option as the routes will be disrupted by the procession (or will traffic be restored to normal patterns by early to mid afternoon?). I had thought British Museum or Tower of London, but just read that those two are the most crowded on Sundays, so perhaps they are not the best options either.

If you could get me jump started on these 3 days, I think (hope!) I'll be able finish out the rest of the week's itinerary!

Thanks a bunch!

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with first 3 days of itinerary

Firstly, I ould be surprised if the Lord Mayor's Show is televised live. I dn't rcall that happening in the past.

On the Sunday, the streets aound Whithall will re-open in the afternoon although will still be busier than usual, as will te pubs in the area. All the musuems and other attractions will be open as usual.

For the last few years the practice of having a minute's silence at 11am on 11 November has re-started. So that is something you should be prepared for.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,821 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with first 3 days of itinerary

Hi,Remembrance Sunday isn't 'a special holiday' ie it's not a bank or national holiday, so everything that would normally be open on a Sunday, will be. But yes, the area around Whitehall will be extra busy. If you can get to watch some of the parade along Whitehall, that would be quite something... How about doing the HOHO on Sunday afternoon? I'd imagine routes will be relatively back to normal, but busy. But it's not like you have places to be at any particular time. ☺ Or... walk to Westminster, and take a boat trip down to the Tower? I wouldn't worry too much about the Tower being busy on a Sunday. It's November, so not the height of the Tourist Season. Or if it's a glorious day, you could even take the boat down to Greenwich which is a lovely half day trip.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with first 3 days of itinerary

"Firstly, I ould be surprised if the Lord Mayor's Show is televised live. I dn't rcall that happening in the past."

BBC1 has been shown it for years now and they're showing it this year as well. Coversage from 10.45 am to 12.10 pm.

With regards to Sunday activities, Westminster Abbey and St Paul's are not open for tourist visiting but you can attend services there.

Portobello market is best on the Saturday (although it will be packed) and Borough market is open Thursday to Saturday. I would suggest doing Borough Market on Thursday or Friday and combine it with a trip to St Paul's as you'll cover part of the South bank walking between the 2. If you're not tired after that, you could then cross back over the Millenium bridge and continue walking along the South Bank to the London Eye for an evening flight and see London lit up (it will be dark from about 4.30 onwards). This is certainly doable if you start early at Borough Market.

4. Re: Help with first 3 days of itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 00:17