We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please: Most economical train fares

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
170 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Advice please: Most economical train fares

I will be in London (staying in St. Albans) for 4 days in mid Jan and will make the following journeys:

- Heathrow-St.Albans

- St.Albans-Luton-St.Albans

- St. Albans-St.Pancras-St. Albans (x 2 days) dep. after 9am and return will be after 9pm so off-peak

- Travelling for the 2 days all around London within Zone 1

- St. Albans-Heathrow

What is the best option in terms of train tickets?

At first I thought I should get an Oyster card for cheaper fares Z1-Z6, then just buy single or return fares for the other segments.

However, I also heard that if I buy a St. Albans-London return fare on a Travelcard I am eligible to travel within Z1 unlimited for that day for free?

As I checked the off-peak travelcard between St. Albans-St. Pancras is GBP13 and the return fare is GBP9, so I am guessing a travelcard be cheaper than just a return fare and then using Oyster card around London with the daily cap?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice please: Most economical train fares

A St Albans - London travelcard allows travel in all zones 1-6 all day (or all offpeak day) for free - not just zone 1. It will be cheaper than getting a separate PAYG Oyster - which isn't generally valid on National Rail services anyway

Mentioned in this post
St Albans
St Albans
Hertfordshire, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice please: Most economical train fares

That information is correct. It is much more cost effective to buy the day travel card. Keep in mind though it is for off peak travel. I believe that means you cannot travel before 9AM from St Albans to London or if you travel between from London to St Albans it would be the same.

Mentioned in this post
St Albans
St Albans
Hertfordshire, UK
Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice please: Most economical train fares

Just to clarify, off-peak tickets are valid after 9:30am (not 9am) Mon-Fri.

tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/1055.aspx

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice please: Most economical train fares

A couple of points. For the trip to Luton, if you are travelling beyond the town centre, it could be worth getting a PlusBus add on to the rail tcket giving use of local buses for about £2 for the day. See www.plusbus.info.

Usually, the trains from St Albans go beyond St Pancras and also stop at Farringdon, City Thameslink and Blackfriars, and about half of them also go to London Bridge. Tis can be useful because it is nw a longsh walk from the Capital Connect platforms to some of the underground platforms at St Pancras. So if yo are gong to somewhere on the Circle Line, for example, if can be easier to chnge at Farringdon or Blackfriars. You shold be able to pick up a connectins map at St Albans Station.

Mentioned in this post
Luton
Luton
Bedfordshire, UK
St Albans
St Albans
Hertfordshire, UK
London Bridge
London Bridge
289 Reviews
London, UK
London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice please: Most economical train fares

I forgot to add that if your trips into London are at a weekend, there may well be some disruption to the Central London Capital Connect services and also on the Tube network.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,960 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice please: Most economical train fares

If you are following the HEX-tube-FCC route from Heathrow to St Albans via Paddington it will also be easier to change from the Circle line to the FCC at Farringdon rather than at Kings Cross/St Pancras.

It may well though be nearly as quick and it will certainly be cheaper to take the Piccadily line tube all the way from Heathrow to Kings Cross and then change to the FCC service to St Albans.

Mentioned in this post
St Albans
St Albans
Hertfordshire, UK
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
170 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice please: Most economical train fares

thanks very much, so can I buy an offpeak 3-day travelcard for St. Albans-London?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice please: Most economical train fares

No, you have to buy 3 one day ones.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice please: Most economical train fares

dzug1: "No, you have to buy 3 one day ones."

But you can buy them all at the same time, I think.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,549 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice please: Most economical train fares

Although no faster than the train, you might want to consider the hourly 724 bus direct from Heathrow to St.Albans as no changes would be required http://www.londonbusroutes.net/times/724.htm or http://www.busmap.org/tt4/724.pdf

Mentioned in this post
St Albans
St Albans
Hertfordshire, UK