We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP!!! Too late for travel insurance?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
san diego
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
HELP!!! Too late for travel insurance?

Hello,

I am wondering if it is too late to purchase travel insurance at a decent rate. My spouse and I leave for London, Paris and Italy on the 10th of December. Although I would rather not purchase insurance, I have read how dumb it is to travel without it. We are both very young (mid 20's) with no medical illness/complication.

The only thing we want to purchase insurance for is if one of us happens to get sick. We don't care about trip cancelations or lost luggage...any suggestions for whom we could go through for this? Also what dollar amount would you suggest?

Thanks!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP!!! Too late for travel insurance?

It's not too late to buy travel insurance; the policy takes effect as soon as you purchase it, and the price doesn't increase as the travel date approaches. I would suggest going to www.insuremytrip.com, which will give you quotes from many leading travel insurers.

The policies are age-rated, so at your young ages, you should be able to get very inexpensive quotes. Remember, when asked to estimate the cost of the trip as part of the process of obtaining a quote, you only need to include non-refundable costs. Anything like a refundable hotel reservation that can be canceled without penalty doesn't need to be insured. Remember to read the fine print in your insurance policy, and you generally have 7-10 days after purchase to cancel the coverage and get a full refund from the insurer if you change your mind.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP!!! Too late for travel insurance?

We've gotten trip insurance through insuremytrip, and many policies DO state that they must be purchased within a very short time of booking...so read the fine print carefully.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP!!! Too late for travel insurance?

>>many policies DO state that they must be purchased within a very short time of booking...

Warmwinds, I'm pretty sure that condition applies only to the "financial default" and "pre-existing condition" terms of the policy. All other coverage (e.g., claims made for a new injury or illness) should be valid for policies bought any time prior to travel.

To read all the fine print prior to purchase, you can go to

insuremytrip.com/myquotecalc-package-1000-0-…

and click on "plan name and terms".

UK
Level Contributor
2,560 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP!!! Too late for travel insurance?

Balance of probability with this data highly unlikely in extreme need insurance I never take it

the money I have saved over the years would permit me to stay in Mayo Clinic

Happy hols

Regmaiche

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP!!! Too late for travel insurance?

Balance of probability means no need to take travel insurance???????? Another pearl of wisdom, geesh!

Travel insurance is low cost, it's recommended to have cover. You will be extremely sorry if something does happen and you didn't bother.

Not too late at all, many Co's will put you 'at risk' immediately following a phone call and credit card payment. Particularly as you say yours would be standard terms.

Stoofer

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,359 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP!!! Too late for travel insurance?

I never cease to be amazed at how short-sighted people can be. You can afford to travel halfway round the world yet you balk at buying travel insurance.

I don't know what it will cost you but I can get world wide cover for a family of 4 for £50.

Consider what it would cost you to get repatriated on a stretcher accompanied by a medical team.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
93 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP!!! Too late for travel insurance?

If you are only interested in insurance in case of illness, you might want to give your current health insurance company a call. When I went to Europe this past spring, I called my insurance company ahead of time, not expecting anything, and it turned out that I have the same coverage in Europe that I do here at home...no need to buy anything extra. This came as a total (but welcome) suprise.

Level Contributor
492 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP!!! Too late for travel insurance?

I always get it, bought it about a month out for my two week trip. Besides *evacuation* and medical I look for trip cancellation or interruption (don't care much about lost bags). For a single it was around $70 for two weeks.

Poster who said he could go to Mayo Clinic on what he's saved is full of drama. Number one, do you have any idea how much one night in the hospital costs and two, how old are you?

It's worth it to me for a little peace of mind traveling alone.

san diego
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP!!! Too late for travel insurance?

Thanks for all your tips! I did check out insuremytrip and prices have not increased since I last checked, so that's good. Thanks for the tip on checking with my provider! Although I doubt Kaiser (yuck!) would cover something like this, it's worth looking into. Thanks again for your help!

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,019 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP!!! Too late for travel insurance?

Do check the credit card you used to buy your tickets, as sometimes I believe that gives you travel insurance for nothing.

Also, check your normal health insurance as it may be cheap to extend it to foreign countries.

I only take out travel insurance for these reasons but I think it is essential to have it. I don't care about lost bags or cancelled flights. But if you are run over by an uninsured driver and have to spend six weeks in intensive care, then be flown home on a special flight, it could bankrupt you.