We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York Times attack on London food

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, UK
Level Contributor
163 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
New York Times attack on London food

Here is an article I came across in The Guardian today

guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2008…

detailing another article in The NY Times by 'Freakonomics' author Stephen J Dubner. Needless to say, on his trip to London, the author fell into some tourist traps and had some "English stereotype of potted meat, soggy pastry, and vegetable mush".

London has of course come a long way when it comes to food and restaurants but it's still possible to have bad food if you don't do your research. So, advice to travellers, do your research, consult restaurant guides such as Time Out, Toptable and London-eating, which also have special offers and of course ask for tips from the locals!

Happy eating!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,731 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York Times attack on London food

I could talk long and hard about dreadful food I've had in New York over the past 25 years but I don't have a column in the NY Times (or Guardian for that matter). Just proves if you seek it so shall you find. Wouldn't want to find anything good, just in case it pipped NY - which has been rather moribund in recent times.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York Times attack on London food

"I could talk long and hard about dreadful food I've had in New York over the past 25 years but I don't have a column in the NY Times (or Guardian for that matter). Just proves if you seek it so shall you find. Wouldn't want to find anything good, just in case it pipped NY - which has been rather moribund in recent times."

My thoughts exactly.

I like NYC, even lived there for a while, but London's the city NY wishes it were and will never be.

NYC does have some great food, but so does London.

(^_^)

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,234 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York Times attack on London food

FYI Jay Rayner, who wrote the Guardian blog, is the respected restaurant critic of the Sunday Observer and the son of Claire, possibly the best known agony aunt in the UK.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,413 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York Times attack on London food

Dubner cements his numptiness by not bothering to divulge where he ate 'potted meat, soggy pastry and vegetable mush'. Tut, tut, Stephen, not citing one's sources would not go over well in J school. To mention M&S Simply Food and 7-Eleven as rough equivalents may have been done purely to provoke - or else someone did not carry out due diligence.

Well then, if he wants to cilng to an outmoded stereotype, then I shall have a Fray Bentos pie and a slightly freezer-burnt Arctic Roll sent round to Dubner. Eat up, now.

London, UK
Level Contributor
163 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York Times attack on London food

See, I agree; I've had some fabulous (but expensive) meals in NYC but one thing NY doesn't do but which London excels at is simple, take-away, on-the-go food like salads and sandwiches from M&S, Boots, Tesco's, Pret, Eat etc, etc. I remember on one of my first trips to NY going into a deli for lunch and ordering what I thought would be a simple tuna sandwich and being confronted with a single slice of bread with a mountain of tuna on top! Of course, since then a Pret has opened by Bryant Park and there do seem to more sandwich/soup/salad type places there than 10yrs ago.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,210 posts
1,636 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York Times attack on London food

Rather odd criticising British food given the amount of superstar chefs that Britain has at the moment, a few of whom are doing rather well in the US.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York Times attack on London food

Kettle and pot springs to mind. With a few exceptions, the restaurant food I have eaten in America has also been of poor quality.

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York Times attack on London food

'Potted meat' ? Seriously, has anyone seen this since about circa 1950? (goes nicely with a bloater paste sandwich and a warming cup of beef tea)

Windsor
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: New York Times attack on London food

I know its a lifestyle/travel piece and its that time of year but given the general poor quality quality of US food its a bit like Britney Speares writing an article on the Queen of England having a lack of moral standards / dignity.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New York Times attack on London food

Could not believe the improvement in the food in London between a trip in 1995, when it was pretty basic, and for us very expensive, and our next trip in 2004.