We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free entry to Madame Tussauds for US tourists...

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brighouse, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Free entry to Madame Tussauds for US tourists...

Madame Tussauds is to let American tourists in free of charge to mark the inauguration of Barack Obama as US President.

The London attraction will waive its entrance fee, which starts at £12.23, to American citizens on January 20, to celebrate the debut of its wax figure of the president-elect.

Visitors can get up close and personal with the world’s most powerful man in a recreation of the Oval office.

They can stand behind the Resolute desk used by presidents since 1880 and pace the American eagle-patterned carpet.

The figure of Mr Obama will be in an informal and relaxed pose, smiling, with his arms casually folded and dressed in a tailored suit.

All US citizens will be given free entry to the attraction “on presentation of valid documentation”, Madame Tussauds said.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,716 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free entry to Madame Tussauds for US tourists...

Even for free it is still not worth the entrance fee.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Free entry to Madame Tussauds for US tourists...

Isn't that prejudiced? :-)

But then I'd pay not to go in.

Stoofer

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free entry to Madame Tussauds for US tourists...

One wonders whether they allow free entrance when other countries change governments..or wether the bias only extends to one nation. :-)p

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,193 posts
1,623 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free entry to Madame Tussauds for US tourists...

Rather surprised that they have done Obama so quickly but refused to do Gordon Brown at all.

It seems they might give Brits free entry if there was a change of govt ;)

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Free entry to Madame Tussauds for US tourists...

Probably because most of our policy is decided in The White House :-( Sorry Political!

Has this been done for any other nation?

Stoofer

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free entry to Madame Tussauds for US tourists...

Most of the posters on this forum do not rate Madame Tussauds as being even remotely worthwhile. However, to judge a place fairly, you need to see it "up close and personal". So it would be interesting to hear how our TALF posters from the US rate Madame Tussauds (after they have visited it free of charge on January 20th). Seriously though, you should never look a gift horse in the mouth (even if the horse in question is a faded, jaded old nag know as Madame Tussauds).

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,857 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Free entry to Madame Tussauds for US tourists...

I went there in October with a friend who was visiting from NE England. We thought that Madame Tussaud's was good if you wanted to have a few good laughs, it can bring out the kid in you again. Evidently it is still a quite popular attraction, whenever I've been by there via bus or cab, usually long queues to get in.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Free entry to Madame Tussauds for US tourists...

Yes, invariably long queues of families paying around £50 for about an hour of 'entertainment'.

But if it's free, I suppose on a cold day a visitor might enjoy it.

Stoofer

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Free entry to Madame Tussauds for US tourists...

My sister and her teenage daughter came to London on a day trip for shopping a couple of months ago, went there and really liked it. So consequently I'm planning to go there myself. Last time was 20 years ago, so maybe it's changed?

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Free entry to Madame Tussauds for US tourists...

Will you need to show a passport, of if I disguise myself can I get in for free? Stetson hat, an "Oxford University t-shirt and flip flops?