We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great British Heritage Pass - have you used it?

Virginia
Level Contributor
185 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Great British Heritage Pass - have you used it?

Hi: Two of us will be spending 16 days in England in March/April: 7 days in London and 9 days touring the southeast and southwest. We love historic houses, castles, gardens, museums, and churches. I just saw that there is a Great British Heritage Pass available for 4, 7, 15, or 30 days. Has anyone used it? It seems as though it is both money- and time-saving (since you don't have to wait in ticket lines for purchase or admission). Is that true? Can this be purchased in London, or must we buy it before we leave the US? Thanks very much for your help.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great British Heritage Pass - have you used it?

Hi AskingForHelp

Yes, we (4 of us) used the GBHP on our last trip to the UK (March-May 2008). We were in England/Scotland/Wales for 6 weeks and bought 30 day & 15 day passes each and used them over and over again. They were worth every penny (well, cent, as I paid for them here in Australia from VisitBritain, but collected them in London). They certainly saved time and money - according to one of our friends who kept track of how much we would have spent if we didn't have the passes, we saved a considerable amount (but I don't recall exactly how much that was). I think there were probably no more than half a dozen places we visited that didn't accept the pass and we probably visited at least 2 places a day.

UK
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great British Heritage Pass - have you used it?

If you search the Forum for "Great British Heritage Pass" you will find some useful posts dicussing the pros and cons of buying one.

As you will be traveling outside London as well it may be a good deal. I was particularly struck by the comment that you are able to pop in to places you might not have considered because it costs "nothing" to have a look see.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great British Heritage Pass - have you used it?

We used the GBH pass on our last trip and loved it. We only purchased the and used it for Stonehenge, Hever Castle, St. Pauls Cathedral, and Chartwell. We wished that we had known about it for our previous three trips.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great British Heritage Pass - have you used it?

Sorry...should read "We only purchased the 4 day pass and".

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
239 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great British Heritage Pass - have you used it?

I purchased a BHP on my trip in 2007, as we did alot of travelling outside of London. It was excellent value, and I did end up saving quite a bit of money in the end. I ordered the passes online on visitbritain.com, and picked them up in London. If I recall correctly, the passes are purchased online, and then, with e-voucher in hand you redeem it for your passes at various locations around the UK. We picked ours up the London Visitors centre on Regent Street.

According to the following website they can only be purchased outside of the UK. But you may want to pop off an email to britishheritagepass.com, just incase the info on this website is incorrect.

…about.com/od/…GBheritagepass.htm

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
239 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great British Heritage Pass - have you used it?

just another note to add, when purchased online, they can be shipped to your home address. That is assuming you have planned well in advance in order to receive them before you depart on your trip.

Have a great trip!

Lisa

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,434 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great British Heritage Pass - have you used it?

We used the 7 day GBH Pass a few years ago. It is really worth while if you travel outside London. But: Check carefully for opening times and special events. Some sites are closed or partially closed one day during the week or for special events.

We purchased ours through RailEurope and received in the mail at home in the State. At the first site, the admission staff stamped the passes with start date. We never had to stand in line; just showed the pass.

Also, some sites are near each other. The pass gives you the opportunity to visit places you might otherwise hesitate to visit. With the pass, if the site turns out not to be too interesting you can leave and not feel like you have wasted your money.

Also, you can buy it in advance and prepay part of the cost of your trip. It is so nice not to have to constantly pull out your wallet to pay for something.

Have a great time.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great British Heritage Pass - have you used it?

Like the others...... have always been a fan of this pass over the other passes cos it covers not only National Trust properties but many independent places as well.

However, since the "Royal Historic Properties (or whatever it is called) aka- Hampton Court Palace, Kensington palace etc, stopping allowing them to be used on their properties, there use in London was severely reduced and I would almost say not worth it for London alone. It also used to give you 50% of the Tower of London and not sure it does that now.

Its value is in using it when touring outside London I beleive.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great British Heritage Pass - have you used it?

yes, 6andy6, we used the LondonPass in London and the GBHP outside of London. I think the GBHP is great value but next time, for London, we'll hopefully be able to use the 2for1 offers with a travelcard.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
2,092 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Great British Heritage Pass - have you used it?

6andy6 - just checked website and yes, while I certainly agree that use of the GBHP is limited within London and best value is enjoyed if travelling further afield, it appears that the GBHP is actually valid for use at Hampton Court Palace. Unless you know of an update that hasn't been applied to their website yet? Just think we need to clarify this one here. Cheers!