We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lost in London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Spain
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Lost in London

Hello guys

I'm planning my first trip to London on February and I'm complete lost. I've got my flight tickets but I don't have hotel or visit itinary yet. I also have the problem of my horrible english that doesn't help too much.

So those are my questions:

1- I will arrive at Stansted airport on Saturday night 20:30 aprox. We fight back on Wednesday at 16:45.

Which is the best area to stay? I'd found good prices at ridgemount hotel in bloomsbury and melbourne hotel in victoria. Which one is the best area? Does anyone know these hotels? Do you recommed me another area or hotel?

2- Which is the best pass for the transport? Oyster, london pass,...?

3- Does it worth to visit Greenwich? A Girl from the office talked me very well about this place.

4- Which are the atraccions that I must not miss?

I hope someone could decode my message and give me any recomendation. Thanks in advantage!

Maria

London
Level Contributor
61 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lost in London

Hi Maria,

I don't know either of those hotels, but the locations are central and good for transport links.

But you could also check out the Travelodge hotels - there are several threads on them on this Forum.

It might be cheaper to get an Oyster card and use Pay as you go.It covers underground (tube), buses, DLR etc but not overground trains. But maybe a 3 day travelcard would be good value as you could buy one to cover Sunday,Monday,Tuesday and you can use these on overground trains.

Greenwich is worth visiting in my opinion. By the river, beautiful park, nice shops, pubs, restuarants, nice market as well as The Observatory and Maritime Museum etc. You could arrive by boat from central London and take tube or DLR back for example.

I like the London Eye, The South Bank area, Tate Modern, British Museum, Natural History Museum, V&A Museum and The Tower of London.

Have a great time in London!

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lost in London

I agree with Greenwch being worth a visit, but if this is your first visit there are plenty of thins to add to it.

Have a look at the Transport For London website to check what is best for you for those days.

Have a look at the Travelodge.co.uk hotels to see if you can find cheap deals...

Send me a private message if you want. Click on my name for that. (Si quieres mandame un mensaje personal y te cuento mas cosas. Pinchas en mi nombre y desde alli busca para mandarme el mensaje.)

Un saludo

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,391 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lost in London

I think you would like the Ridgemount hotel. It's very central, there are a number of buses along Gower Street, and you can walk to places like Oxford Street and the British Museum. Muy civilizado.

RamonSpain can give you good advice about whether or not to buy a Travelcard or use Pay As You Go on Oyster - muchisimas gracias, Ramon.

Spain
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lost in London

Thank you for your answers. There were very very useful.

At least I booked on Ridgemount hotel.

I'm going to take de Oyster Card as Ramon advice me. I don't Know what I'm gonna visit yet, but the most important things (fight and hotel) are done. I have one mounth to think about the rest. So if anyone have any recomendations they will be wellcome.

I'm so excited about my trip!! It's the first time going out of Spain since I was 14, and I'm 30 now!

I will tell you my experience when I come back.

Maria

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lost in London

(1) How many days are you in London?

(2) Send a private message (in Spanish) to RamonSpain who is an experienced visitor to London and can give you lots of information

www.tripadvisor.com/members-forums/RamonSpain

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lost in London

Hah! I see that RamonSpain has already replied. Very efficient of him!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
610 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lost in London

I am not an expert but I've been 4 times in London for a total of about 8 weeks.

For a first visit of 4 days, I would not miss:

- a walk around Trafalgar Square

- a walk around Picadilly Circus

- a walk around Big Ben

- a walk in one of the beautiful park

- an afternoon tea

- a visit of the Tower of London

- a visit of St-Paul cathedral

- a visit of Westminster Abbaye

- a visit to the British museum

+ there is many other museums and activities to do, many areas to visit... and you ca do shopping.

A good idea is also to join a walk: http://www.walks.com/

Have a nice visit in London.

8. Re: Lost in London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 09:18