We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London - Day 1 and 2 - Trip Review

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
London - Day 1 and 2 - Trip Review

I finally got around writing about our trip in Europe last September.

Day 1:

We arrived at London late morning. Totally jet-lagged. We took the London Connect train to the hotel (London Hilton Metropole), and passed out on bed for the entire afternoon. I did manage to run out and bought sandwiches and drinks from the Mark & Spencer store nearby, and got a overpriced phone card to call home with.

Day 2:

We took the Tube to Buckingham Museum. The train system in London is so easy to figure out compared to Japan's complex train platforms. We got to the Palace way to early for the Changing of the Guards, so we walked to nearby St.James' Park to have a full English Breakfast. What a full meal that is! ^^ Bacon, sausage, portabella mushroom, eggs, black buddings ... we barely finish the split breakfast! By the time we wandered back to Buckingham, there was tons of tourists lining outside of the courtyard, so we watched the Changing of the Guide from far away. Oh well, food > tourist trap, for sure!

We walked to Fortnum and Mason, the Queen's designated grocer, for a lovely tea and lunch. I had one of the best meals I had in my life there! Also one of the most expensive, but what a great way to start off a special trip! The service was impeccable yet attentive, and the fowl that I had was simply put, amazing. After the meal, we picked up tea that is fit for a king as gifts back home.

From F&S, we walked through Chinatown to reach the London Museum. We spent the entire afternoon there. The Rosetta Stone was a must-see! Wish we could spend more time at the museum, but we had to catch a show that evening.

The show I picked was Sound of Music. You know, because it's wedding-y and honeymoon appropriate (this is our honeymoona after all), and also because I love the songs. It was better than I expected, because I thought it would a complete cheese fest, which it still was, but there was something sweet about that musical.

We headed back to the hotel by Tube, exhausted, but it was a great day!

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London - Day 1 and 2 - Trip Review

Fortnums AND the Rosetta Stone - you're my kind of people! Glad you had a good day.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,006 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London - Day 1 and 2 - Trip Review

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself, and you have certainly been busy. BTW, the Rosetta Stone is in the British Museum, in case anyone was thinking of looking for it in the Museum of London.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London - Day 1 and 2 - Trip Review

Eeep, I meant to write British Museum! Thanks for the correction.

4. Re: London - Day 1 and 2 - Trip Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 04:16