We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best of the London Markets.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
429 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Best of the London Markets.

The only London Market we have been to (about 20 years ago), was Portabello, but I have heard that it has become rundown recently, and am wondering which of the current markets are considered the better ones for boowsing or just strolling on a weekend??

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,815 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best of the London Markets.

Borough, then Camden

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,246 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best of the London Markets.

Spitslfields, Columbia Road, Borough

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,579 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best of the London Markets.

It depends what you are interested in browsing for, I suppose. Crafts, food, antiques, flowers? That's what would influence my choice.

Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
867 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best of the London Markets.

I've heard great things about Borough Market (8 Southwark Street). I'll go there on Friday the 23rd January.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,004 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best of the London Markets.

I agree with Fat Chris:

Borough for food

Columbia Road for Flowers (v. early morning)

Spitalfields for interesting stuff including some your designers and for a grest chair massage on Sundays.

Would add the UpMarket at the Truman Brewery on Sunday (about 2 streets further from Liverpool Street Station than Spitalfields) for interesting stuff and a wide array of food stalls.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best of the London Markets.

If you head out on a Sunday you could do a walk that started at Columbia Rd, took in Brick Lane (a hive of activity Sunday, with two crafty type markets near Truman brewery and other stalls further up the street selling day-to-day goods) and ended at Spitalfield market. A very pleasant way to spend a Sunday morning, and something I do quite often.

London, United...
Level Contributor
659 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best of the London Markets.

I'd like to throw Greenwich Market into the mix. Mostly arts & crafts but I like the atmosphere about the place plus Greenwich itself is wonderful. A short train ride from Borough/London Bridge.

8. Re: Best of the London Markets.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 19:21