We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London - Must-Sees in 2 Days

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
London - Must-Sees in 2 Days

We are going to be spending two days in London as part of a Europe trip we are taking this year. We are a late 20s couple and are looking for the "must-see" things to see and do in London in 2 days. We are not as interested in museums, art or history as we are in food, drink and general culture. Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,635 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London - Must-Sees in 2 Days

www.timeout.com/london is a good place to start. The website and accompanying magazine (available every Wednesday) have plenty of listings for activities, both traditional and less so.

The must sees or must dos really do depend on you, though. Fancy a bit of culture plus history? Visit the Sir John Soane Museum or Dennis Severs's House. If you like growing things, consider Chelsea Physic Gardens.

Even if you have time for a drive by view only, do consider taking the number 15 bus from the Strand or Trafalgar Square to the Tower. It will take you through legal London, past St Paul's and through the City, still busy even in these sombre financial times, to the Tower. From Tower Hill, hop on the Underground to Westminster and admire the iconic view as you leave the station at the Bridge Street way out.

If you'd like to eat and drink well, you can do so two or three times a day for two days and still want more. Have a look at a good guidebook, perhaps the Eyewitness Guide, and see what interests you, then go on from there.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London - Must-Sees in 2 Days

You should probably try to hit a few areas that have several "sites" close by, though getting around London is very easy. I would put the Tower of London/Tower Bridge at the top of the list. Westminster Abbey, Parliament and the London Eye are all together.

You'll have no trouble finding food/drinks, there seems to be a pub on every corner and "pub grub" is delicious.

If you like "street markets" try Portobello on a Saturday, or the antique market at Covent Garden on Monday morning. The various Camden Markets are wonderful for shopoing and people watching, good ethnic stuff as well.

Happy Travels!

London, United...
Level Contributor
548 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London - Must-Sees in 2 Days

I'd go to Trafalgar Square, walk down Whitehall- past Downing Street (Prime Minister's residence), to Parliament and Big Ben and across Westminster Bridge to go on the London Eye, and the Aquarium. Back-track back across the Bridge, visit Westminster Cathedral, down Great George Street and Birdcage walk to Buckingham Palace. That's one day- and would have dinner and see a play/show in the west end (i.e. around Leicester Square area)

Next day I'd go to Tower Bridge station, visit the Tower including the Jewel Tower, walk across Tower Bridge, go up half way on it to the Tower Bridge exhibition, come down on the south side of the river and walk to towards Big Ben (which is on the other side of the river now) past the Mayor's offices (looks like a great big beehive). If you're not too tired go to Greenwich.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London - Must-Sees in 2 Days

I like the boat trip on the Thames from Westminster to Greenwich. If there on a weekend you can visit Greenwich Market (food/pubs), or take a walk through the Naval College to the Trafalgar Hotel. Good food/drinks and right on the Thames. I also like walking the bank of the Thames west from Tower Bridge, past many good pubs, the Globe Theatre, Tate Modern, St Paul's Cathedral on the other side of the river and many other sights. The London sightseeing buses are a good way to see a few sights, get our bearings and they are hop on/hop off, so you can choose to get on and off as you wish. There are so many things to do and see, start going through the London sightseeing sites to work out an itinerary. For me, the must see attraction is Westminster Abbey.

Hope this helps some.

Leanne

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,466 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London - Must-Sees in 2 Days

A food & drink must see is the food hall in Harrods department store. Even if you don't buy anything it's a fantastic sight.

Also the small Chinatown area just off Leicester Square is worthy of a browse

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
338 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London - Must-Sees in 2 Days

If you are into food you should visit Borough Market. It's simple fab for fresh food and its an experience in itself!

http://www.boroughmarket.org.uk/

I would also highly recommend the Tower of London - it may be history but its a fascinating day out with lots of different things to see.

7. Re: London - Must-Sees in 2 Days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 00:19