We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carluccios, Da Mario or Pizza Express for italian?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Arizona
Level Contributor
73 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Carluccios, Da Mario or Pizza Express for italian?

Hi

we are looking for 1 night of italian/pizza on our week long trek to London. Narrowed it down to these three. Any votes?? thanks.

Wendy

London
Level Contributor
287 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carluccios, Da Mario or Pizza Express for italian?

If you're just after one of the chains, then I'd probably go with Carluccio's. If you're after pizza, then I think Strada is worth consideration alongside Pizza Express.

Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Carluccios, Da Mario or Pizza Express for italian?

I agree.

Pizza I think is best at Strada or Pizza Express.

For pastas, risottos and the like I'd vote for Carluccio's. They do great coffee too !

Must say, I like all three.

London
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carluccios, Da Mario or Pizza Express for italian?

There are plenty of reatsuarants serving Pizza in London, and whilst the aforementioned chains are quite reliable, there are probably better options around.

Check these out;

squaremeal.co.uk/restaurants/…Best_Pizza

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,236 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Carluccios, Da Mario or Pizza Express for italian?

Strada for best Pizza IMO, I really can't fathom why people like Pizza Express. Strada is a chain but I've been to few independant restaurants that do a better Roman style pizza. They have it sussed IMO.

Outside of Pizza, Da Mario in Covent Garden for fine Italian food. It's funny you mention Da Mario, I reckon it's the best in town but have never tried their pizza, didn't realise it was o the menu. Must be the wine!!!

Stoofer

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carluccios, Da Mario or Pizza Express for italian?

Yes I am a fan of Strada too - do a great seafood pasta! Now dont shoot me, but have always had fabulous meals in ZiZi's aswell!

Pizza Express I believe is overpriced and not worth it, oh and they also like to make you wait an hour for a starter or drink!

Leicester UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carluccios, Da Mario or Pizza Express for italian?

Carluccio's!

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,250 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carluccios, Da Mario or Pizza Express for italian?

I have to say that last June I had a pizza at the Strada on the South Bank walk with a crust you could not cut with a knife and fork. If that's "Roman Style," no thanks. (But it was worth it for people watching on a warm evening.)

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carluccios, Da Mario or Pizza Express for italian?

wquinps ,

Both Strada and Pizza express are doing 2 for 1 on mains at moment. I like pizzas at both the restaurants.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,236 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Carluccios, Da Mario or Pizza Express for italian?

Vnrose,

If you mean the crust around the edges, I think you're right, It should be very difficult to cut a 'Roman style' pizza with a knife and fork.

Pizza Hut do a 'soggy one' :-)

But perhaps they had an off day, they have great 'credentials' for pizza.

Stoofer

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,250 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carluccios, Da Mario or Pizza Express for italian?

Stoofer--no, you couldn't cut ANY of the crust! The dam thing was sliding all over the place as I tried! But I do respect your recommendation and I may well give them another try if I get back to London this summer.