We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airports in London

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Airports in London

are ALL accessible by train?!

If you choose a black cab be aware that you will be paying on average 30GBP whereas public transport is 1.20GBP PER bus journey?!

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airports in London

Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted are all accessible by train.

Although Luton does not have a train station, a feeder bus will take you from Luton Airport to a nearby railway station in ten minutes (where you can catch a Thamelink train into London). Answer in respect of London City Airport is in the negative. But I understand the Docklands Light Railway extension to City Airport is due to open in mid-December of this year. If the Docklands Light Railway meets its deadline date of 15th December 2005, this may augur well for the timely completion of the transport network necessary to make London 2012 a success.

I note your comments on the black cabs. But sometimes, when three or four people are travelling together with a lot of luggage, it makes sense - both in commercial and comfort terms - to take a cab.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airports in London

Not yet. The DLR is not due to reach London City until December.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airports in London

I'm sorry I know I shouldn't be so pedantic but I can't take it any more. I'll regret it, I know I will. But LMTav, is every sentence you write intended to be a question or are the "?!" for some other mysterious reason?

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airports in London

Perhaps you simply misread my post Mr. C.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airports in London

Insightful, I think you and Mr C just posted at the same time!

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airports in London

Yes. My mistake.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airports in London

LMTav - I'm guessing since you are a Londoner that you have picked up some quotes from other peoples posts that you don't agree with?!?

All London airports are accessable by train, the Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted Express trains as well the underground for Heathrow and British Rail for Gatwick. Luton is accessable by British Rail, the airport is a short shuttle ride from Luton Station. London City airport, that one you can't get to by train, you can only go as far as Canning town then get a shuttle.

I'm not sure if the black cab vs bus statement relates to getting to the airport or just in general? You certainly can't get to any airport for £1.20 (unless you are very close by to start off with).

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airports in London

Ok, so Luton and London city you can't get the train exactly to the airport, but we're talking about a shuttle journey of 10 or so minutes. In my mind that is still saying they are accessible by train.....maybe others think different?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airports in London

No, I'd say they're all pretty much accessible by train, more or less. But the price of some of the train connections is obscene and as someone else said if there are a few of you a taxi *can* work out cheaper.

Allentown
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airports in London

When we arrived at Paddington with Heathrow Express the cab dispatcher put us in the cab share scheme Our destination was 6GBP per person.

Got lucky with our co-sharers and while it was crowded sitting on the jump seat going backwards it was better than the Underground after the long night flight.