We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from north-train to docklands?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
lincs-uk
Level Contributor
113 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
driving from north-train to docklands?

hi there i am wondering if anyone could tell me the best way to get to docklands? i am driving from the north so hoping to park at cockfosters or somewhere simular and get the underground into the city. we are staying at the international hotel in docklands and i am stumped as i dont think its the underground to get there is it the docklands light railway?would really appreciate any advice or where would be good to park for 2 days outside london the get the train in.

thank you x

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,445 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from north-train to docklands?

Last time I stayed at that hotel there was a car park close by. It couldl be expensive and it's worth checking you can still park as development continues apace in the area but it will be far less hassle than having to deal with the tube and the DLR. Take the M11 to avoid the Congestion Charge Zone.

lincs-uk
Level Contributor
113 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from north-train to docklands?

hi thank you for the reply i dont think i would feel confident driving around there at all and sat nav distracts me!! i am ok on the underground but when it comes to docklands dont know where to start?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,618 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from north-train to docklands?

Using the DLR is easy peasy, although with the closure of Tower Gateway station you may need to be more canny with connections. The walk from Canary Wharf DLR station to Canary Wharf Jubilee line station is a bit of a hike, through two shopping centres, so be prepared.

tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/dlr-route-map.pdf

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from north-train to docklands?

Is it the Britannia International?

The run in from Cockfosters can be tedious in the extreme.

I would suggest as another option if you really don't fancy the drive is scoot around to a central line station with a car park (Maybe Epping, Loughton etc) and get the Central line to Stratford and change to the DLR there?

The tfl.gov.uk site I think will tell you which places have parking and not.

Cheers

PS You could of course get the train the whole way from Lincs?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,445 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving from north-train to docklands?

All Satnav's should be forcibly removed from all cars and burnt in one giant bonfire but lets not get me started on that topic!!

Head to www.theaa.com/travelwatch/planner_main.jsp and work out your route. You can also print off a map. It's not difficult with no narrow lanes and only a couple of roundabouts and junctions where extra care is needed. If you are here at the weekend then the roads in the immediate area of the hotel aren't that busy.

lincs-uk
Level Contributor
113 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving from north-train to docklands?

christ i dont know what to do now. our train was going to go into kings cross then i though it would be easy to get the tube rest of way.yes its the britannia international thank you so much for help and advice!

lincs-uk
Level Contributor
113 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving from north-train to docklands?

adamhornets i know exactly where u r coming from bloomin sat navs i tried one once and i was a danger its as bad as mobile phones i think!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,445 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving from north-train to docklands?

One other problem with parking at a tube station is that they charge per day every day (even on a Sunday now - Grrr) using machines which makes it almost impossible to legally leave your car for more than one day unless you buy two tickets for the same day and write a note on the tickets before you leave it in the windscreen, not something I would recommend.

lincs-uk
Level Contributor
113 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: driving from north-train to docklands?

oh dear that would be difficult then were going for 3 days! i would probably get the train in then to kings cross i had it all so well worked out we were going to stay in victoria which would be soo easy but then the hotel sold out and then this one was our next choice..do you think earls court would be easyer to stay eg getting in and out of the city?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,445 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: driving from north-train to docklands?

Earls Court would indeed be slightly easier to reach and also better for exploring London, assuming that is what you plan to do. From Kings Cross you can take the Piccadilly line all the way to the hotel in less than half an hour.

Which hotel are you looking at?