We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

camera adapters or converters

Westerville, OH
Level Contributor
87 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
camera adapters or converters

I am traveling to London with a new ultra slim digital camera that apparently charges, as far as I can determine, only through a USB port. Is there any way around that other than dragging a laptop with me? Are there adapters and/or converters that would enable me to recharge through outlets in the UK? Or, if not, are the internet cafes amenable to utilizing their PC's in that way? The battery is lithium polymer.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,358 Reviews
from US$131.10*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,128 Reviews
from US$139.80*
US$155.40
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
515 Reviews
from US$118.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$349.20*
Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: camera adapters or converters

What is the make and model ?

Westerville, OH
Level Contributor
87 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: camera adapters or converters

It is a cheapy off the Home Shopping Network....Mustek GSmart S50

Florida
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: camera adapters or converters

I have the same question. My new digital is a Casio EXILIM Z50.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: camera adapters or converters

I wonder if the iPod Shuttle chargers would work ?

London UK
Level Contributor
485 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: camera adapters or converters

Hmmm not sure Mr C - I have a Creative Zen Micro where the mains charger connects through the small USB port on the player. My wife has a small MP3 player that charges through a USB cable connected to the laptop. When we were on hols and I tried to charge the wife's MP3 with the Creative charger it became a very, very unhappy little machine and only worked again once we charged it through the laptop.

As for charging via the USB in an Internet cafe, I can't charge my Crteative via USB at work, I assume because my work PV doesn't have the software on it.

None of that really helps you, Buckeye Barry - sorry. Have you tried asking a more tech-savvy forum, there must be one on the Internet for dealing with issues like this?

Westerville, OH
Level Contributor
87 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: camera adapters or converters

Mr. Capo, you are right. I should have asked this on another sight. I have learned that the software requirement will pretty much preclude any other means of charging. Thank you all for your time, anyway.

Mr. Cellophane, you probably don't remember but you gave me some advice a few weeks ago about viewing the Guy Fawkes Day fireworks display at Alexandra Palace. That was much appreciated but we have decided due to our lodging in Southwark and, by that time, more than 30 hours of sleeplessness we will stroll the Thames and see what we will see. I am sure we will enjoy regardless of the location.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: camera adapters or converters

Hopefully, I won't have to recharge my camera on my trip. I bought an extra strong battery that runs for 2 hours and will use that instead of the 30 minute batter the camera came with. If it dies, I will try to buy a little disposable camera to take up the slack.