We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do we keep our passorts while visiting the U.k.?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisiana, USA
Level Contributor
49 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Where do we keep our passorts while visiting the U.k.?

Our hotel does not have individual safes in the rooms. They do, however, have a safe deposit box in the hotel for guests. This is our first trip using a passport and I'm not really sure where I should keep it.

I have been warned not to lose it and also not to carry it with me. Any suggestions?

Thank you again!

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,802 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where do we keep our passorts while visiting the U.k.?

Most hotels have a hotel safe, just put your passports in a envelope with your name and room number on and them ask them to put it in the safe.

London
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where do we keep our passorts while visiting the U.k.?

Hotel safe will be fine.

Wherever I am travelling, I always make a photocopy of my passport before leaving home and keep this separately from my passport, in case of loss/theft etc. If you do have any problems, this makes it easier to arrange a replacement.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where do we keep our passorts while visiting the U.k.?

Hi, some people keep theirs at the hotel, for my husband and I we use the zippered body wallets (around your waist) for our passports, big bills and charge cards.

When we start out our day we keep our "day money" in a small coin purse, (front pocket) so we're not having to constantly pull out the body wallet. On the occassion that we do, just turn around or go in a corner to pull it out for the cashier. Nobody pays you any attention by the way!

We've been using the body wallets fopr over 20 years and always feel secure while traveling. Nothing "pickpocketed" from your purse or pack.

Never, never put your purse or bag over the back of your chair (it's on your lap with your arm through the strap.) And gentlemen, never carry that wallet in your back pocket. We had a fellow traveler get his wallet stolen from his back pocket one trip and he was a retired N.Y. City police officer. Talk about embarrassing!

Another tip I use is if you have to put your purse or bag on the floor in a restaurant for instance, put your foot through the strap. (again, nobody will look at you funny).

These suggestions are not meant to frighten you away from traveling or going to London, it's a wonderful city and my favorite destination, but being a little bit "overly cautious" can also mean being safe and not having your vacation ruined.

Happy Travels!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,026 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where do we keep our passorts while visiting the U.k.?

Or alternatively, place the strap of the bag under the leg of the chair. If someone tries to steal the bag they will have to take the chair your sitting on with them!

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where do we keep our passorts while visiting the U.k.?

We usually carry ours in a money belt that one of us wears around our waist. I have left it in the hotel safe from time to time, but I'm always worried that we're going to head off to our next destination and forget to retrieve them from the safe.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,470 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where do we keep our passorts while visiting the U.k.?

"Or alternatively, place the strap of the bag under the leg of the chair. If someone tries to steal the bag they will have to take the chair your sitting on with them!"

In that case "they" normally cut the strap with a Stanley knife.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where do we keep our passorts while visiting the U.k.?

Ussually the Hotel safe is fine but whilse travelling to one place to other then concealed money belt around the waist.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where do we keep our passorts while visiting the U.k.?

Slightly off topic but whenevet you travel to a country make sure that you know your obligation regarding carrying an ID with you.

I think UK is not one of these countries but if you were going to Greece (for eaxample) you'd have to carry either your passport or other form of ID (not your driver's license) all the time with you.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where do we keep our passorts while visiting the U.k.?

We heard of a "scam" on our last trip. Two waitresses working together. One would be taking your order and "scoping out" where the purses and bags were put. She would go back, tell the other gal and she called her friend outside who would then come into the restaurant, pretend to drop something, grab the purse/package and run out the door.

Be careful, be careful, be careful!

Happy Travels!

No. California
Level Contributor
645 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where do we keep our passorts while visiting the U.k.?

I always carry my passport on my person but I'm extremely careful when travelling anywhere. Always

carry a photocopy of your pertinent documents with you. I left my passport in a hotel in London one time and left on the train for Salisbury, We were heading to Ireland next and not thru London. It cost me $125.00 to have it delivered by express to Salisbury. Never again.