We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To rent a car or not to rent a car

Vancouver
Level Contributor
259 posts
1 review
Save Topic
To rent a car or not to rent a car

Our family of 4, with kids aged 8 & 10 yrs will be in London for 8 days in August. I'm wondering if it would be better to rent/hire a car as I think a car would cut down on the cost of transportation, and also give us more flexibility in choosing where we could go.

I'm interesed in going to Windsor Castle, Cotswold, Stonehenge, and possibly some other places...I welcome recommendations for places to visit and things to do with the kids.

What are your thoughts on this? Does it cost to park at a hotel? If we have a car, would it then make sense to live further from the hub of London, so we can find cheaper accomodations?

Has any one had the experience of driving on the "other" side of the road? My husband's a bit apprehensive about this...

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,421 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: To rent a car or not to rent a car

Mikayla,

There are a few railway stations (Stratford-Upon-Avon, Moreton-in-the-Marsh, Cheltenham) on the edge of the Cotswolds that you could get to and then use buses to explore a little more but time is against you.

That website mentioned above is well worth exploring and you could also post some questions on the Stratford forum as you have indicated that you might be heading there...but not from Windsor as there just wouldn't be time to get from London Paddington to Windsor and then on to Stratford in one day.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: To rent a car or not to rent a car

Day 5 seems quite ambitious. Do you know what you want to do at Windsor and Stratford? If you try to visit both in one day, you'll not get much time in each.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,990 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: To rent a car or not to rent a car

I would do Windsor as a day trip from London rather than trying to get to Stratford-upon-Avon which, without a car, is a major PITA and in any case there isn't anywhere to store luggage there

berkshire, england
Level Contributor
527 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: To rent a car or not to rent a car

I would base myself in Oxford for the second part of the trip. All of the visits you want to make (Windsor, Stratford, Cotswolds) are doable within an hour or so by bus, train or car from the Oxford area. It would also mean that you had a "base" hotel for this part of the trip, rather than moving to a different hotel each evening.

It would be worth posting on the Oxford forum for more detailed suggestions using public transport

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,921 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: To rent a car or not to rent a car

Hmmm. After reading your various threads, I think it might be easier to spend the whole time in London, and just do day trips from there. (And I know you have plenty to choose from!)

I think for your family, why not take a coach trip to the Cotswolds? It would be a lot easier for you all.

evanevanstours.co.uk/warwick-stratford-oxfor…

www.premiumtours.co.uk/tours/details.asp…

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: To rent a car or not to rent a car

Pretty, typical towns in the Cotswolds that you might to do in a circuit are Burford, Northleach, Bourton-on-the-Water, Stow-on-the-Wold, Moreton-in-the-Marsh, Chasleton House, tea at the Red Lion in Little Compton, Chipping Norton and then home or hotel. If in London about two hours drive from Chipping Norton. The only way to see the area is by car

Look at www.multimap.com for the area, typing in Stow-on-the-Wold which should put you in the middle of the circuit.

"Cots" means stone sheep shelters and "wold" means rolling hills. As a major wool producing area in the mediaeval times the wealth of the Cotswolds can seen in the many big mediaeval churches in the area.

London, United...
Level Contributor
408 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: To rent a car or not to rent a car

If you are intent on renting a car, then do your initial few days in central London and then pick a car up at Heathrow. You are on the west side of London and can head off to Windsor (30 minutes away) and then down the M4 to the Cotswold area. It will then be very easy for you when you are leaving to return home.

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: To rent a car or not to rent a car

Actually the M40 / A40 will be better to take you right into the middle of the Cotswolds, including Northleach and Burford, both of which are on the A40.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: To rent a car or not to rent a car

My daughter and I did this trip in July. We stayed 3 days in London with no car and then went back to Heathrow and got a car for the final 5 days. Driving on the other side of the road is only scary the first hour or so, then not so bad. The absolutely best thing we did was to rent a GPS with the car. Took the hassle out of reading a mad and if we wanted to detour to somewhere interesting looking, finding our way again was so easy.

20. Re: To rent a car or not to rent a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 19:20