We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - Moving to London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
1 post
Save Topic
Help - Moving to London

Hi,

Im moving to London in the new year, and i was wondering if anyone could provide me with any tips or info for when i relocate. i.e best and worst areas to live, best places to look for work, and any other information however small, you think may be useful!

Thank you in advance

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
545 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help - Moving to London

Um, could you give a bit more info? Are you a doctor? A teacher? A street-sweeper?

What type of income are you anticipating?

How old are you?

What do you like to do?

Do you have a family that is coming with you?

The best place for a 100K quid-a-year, 24 year old marketing exec who loves to party will probably not be the best place for a 20K quid-a-year data entry clerk with two kids.

Get my drift?

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help - Moving to London

I don't want to sound mumsy but it's a very bad idea to move to one of the world's most expensive cities without knowing what you are going to live on, unless that is , you know what you are going to live on.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help - Moving to London

often makes me smile when people say they live " In London", as everyone rightly knows, its one of the most expensive places to live in the world and certainly on these islands. I have actually lived "in London", that is if you consider Crystal Palace/Upper Norwood (Postcode SE23 i think it was) as London. Many friends of mines claim to live in KLondon but are way out in the suburbs of North Kent, Surrey, Middx and Essex. If i had the chance to do it all again, 20 years ago, i would have bought a flat anywhere near the Kings Road, Chelsea. Now i take my 8yo son up there on match days and tell him all about it being a great place for the young, free and single... those with lots of money, a well paid job, or very rich parents!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help - Moving to London

Of course Crystal Palace/Upper Norwood is in London, Crystal palace after all is in the London Borough of Bromley. London has a population of over 7 million people and they all don't live in Central london. Anyone living within the boundaries of Greater London is considered as living in London. The following website indicates what i understand to be London and if you live in any of these boroughs then you can say you live in London.

talkingcities.co.uk/london_pages/sights_boro…

You have to remember London started as what is now known as the City and over the centuries has expanded to include many other towns and villages. The best thing about London though is that many of these villages still keep their own identity and village feel e.g. Hampstead, Wimbledon, Dulwich whilst at the same time being part of the city.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help - Moving to London

CF81, how is that you are lucky enough to be able to move there?

Hmm, I just noticed your location says "England". So that means you're already a UK citizen? Guess thats the case. Darn, I thought perhaps you were a US citizen and then you could unlock the secrets.

I've been trying to find any loophole that will allow me to move there. But can't find anything. I either need to be a 1)-- highly skilled/degreed (upper management) worker who can be offered a job where the employer wants you bad enough that they will go through the hassle of work permits & relocating you instead of hiring a local. 2) Have the good fortune of working for an employer who has a London office and is willing to allow me to transfer. Or 3) I need to go back in time and be fresh out of high school (as there are strict age restrictions) and take one of the work programs that are offered to young adults (such as nanny or bar/restaurant positions). And none of those solutions will work for me. (Though I really like option number 3)

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,857 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help - Moving to London

hollyNhollywood......there is a 4th option, you can fall in love with a Londoner and marry him, that's what happened to me. ;) However, the paperwork for applying for a Visa is a nightmare. It is also VERY expensive to live in or near London, even more so than NYC or LA.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help - Moving to London

Gabby, If your husband has any friends that are looking to meet a nice girl, lemme know! ;-)

LONDON
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help - Moving to London

I would avoid places like Brixton to live even though the night life there is good it's a nice palce to visit but not stay. Wimbledon, camberwell, clapham are all pretty cool safe areas. It depends what you want to do really, and what areas you had in mind as London is so big with one good street then the next a bad one that it's hard to run through all of them.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Help - Moving to London

CF81....just went through the same thing and the same questions asked.

Most important..figure out where you will work and the tube line or bus line to get you there. Then think about what is also important to you....green space, restaurants etc..

We looked in Kensington, Chelsea, Marylebone, and ended up in Knightsbridge. It's walking distance to Chelsea Highstreet, Slone Square tube. Keep in mind...for any of these locations you will pay a "premium". I also really liked Hampstead, it has a village feel to it...but, just thought it was out of the way a bit. I decided that if I am going to "Do London" I want to be in the heart of it.

Good Luck!

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help - Moving to London

EXCUSE ME!

I live her- my salary is approx. 1,100.00 pcm and my utility bills are approx. 20GBP as I live alone- I do not drive so have a bus pass 43.20 GBP PCM and my mortgage is approx. 300PCM Why is it SUPPOSEDLY so hard to live in London?!