We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

21 hours in London (Sunday Night) what to do/where to stay?

Orange, California
Level Contributor
274 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
21 hours in London (Sunday Night) what to do/where to stay?

We will be arriving at Heathrow Sunday at noon and fly out the following morning at 11:00am. We're not sure if we should get a hotel room near the airport and take a tube into the city? Or maybe just stay near the airport and forget going into the city? Or maybe stay overnight in the city and forget the airport hotel ?

We've been to London once before and saw all the famous

sites (though not familiar with neighborhoods etc.). I had wanted to see a play but on a Sunday the picken's are slim.

Thanks for your help.

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
574 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 21 hours in London (Sunday Night) what to do/where to stay?

Just a thought: Since you've done London and are pretty pressed for time, you might consider an overnight in nearby Windsor if you haven't seen the castle and the pretty village. Just a few minutes taxi ride from Heathrow.

Orange, California
Level Contributor
274 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 21 hours in London (Sunday Night) what to do/where to stay?

Thanks for this suggestion. I never considered Windsor and had no idea it was near Heathrow.

London
Level Contributor
95 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 21 hours in London (Sunday Night) what to do/where to stay?

If you do decide to come into town, the Comedy Store on a Sunday evening is great:

http://www.thecomedystore.co.uk/

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
691 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 21 hours in London (Sunday Night) what to do/where to stay?

I agree with the suggestion for the Comedy Store, especially if you're a fan of improvisational comedy (as in "Whose Line Is it Anyway?"). Money well spent both times I went. Only complaint is that they hold a good number of seats for the regulars and, the last time, the place filled up pretty fast. By 7:20 or so, it was hard to get good seats for two of us.

Orange, California
Level Contributor
274 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 21 hours in London (Sunday Night) what to do/where to stay?

Can you tell me if it's a hassle to get to the Comedy Store from one of the hotels near the airport? (not a private taxi) On a Sunday night will public transportation be running to get us back to the airport hotel after the show?

Thanks!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,461 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 21 hours in London (Sunday Night) what to do/where to stay?

The last Piccadilly line tube for Heathrow departs around 11.30pm on a Sunday so as The Comedy Store told me that the Sunday show normally finishes around 10.10 you should have plenty of time. You would though have the hassle of getting a Hoppa Bus or taxi back to your hotel unless you stay at Jurys near Hatton Cross tube (handy for T4), the Hilton right by T4 or the new Sofitel if you flying out of T5 with BA.

The Comedy Store is just a couple of minutes walk from Piccadilly Circus, a 45-50 minute straight shot from Heathrow on the Piccadilly line.

Orange, California
Level Contributor
274 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 21 hours in London (Sunday Night) what to do/where to stay?

Thanks so much. We're actually flying out of T3 so not sure what hotel is near there ??? So you have to go back to the airport to catch the tube ?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,461 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 21 hours in London (Sunday Night) what to do/where to stay?

"Thanks so much. We're actually flying out of T3 so not sure what hotel is near there ??? So you have to go back to the airport to catch the tube."

There are no hotels inside the airport perimeter other than the two I mentioned. The Bath Road to the north of the airport contains the majority of airport including The Renasssiance, The Park Inn, two Sheratons and a Radisson. To reach them from central London by tube you need to take a tube to the central station and then either walk up to the bus station to take a free red bus or walk to a terminal to catch a Hoppa Bus for £4 that will take you directly to your hotels.

It's all explained here -http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/heathrow_hotels.htm

In your case I would be tempted to book Jurys and then take a tube (runs every few minutes from Hatton Cross, a 3 or 4 minute walk) to the central station from where T3 is a five minute walk along an underground corridor) or Hoppa Bus (runs every hour) direct to T3. Both would cost £4.

Of course if you wanted to carry your luggage on the tube into London then you could stay there and get up just a little earlier in order to get to T3 around 8.00 if you are flying home or 9.00 if you are flying to Europe.

9. Re: 21 hours in London (Sunday Night) what to do/where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2017, 11:30
10. Re: 21 hours in London (Sunday Night) what to do/where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2017, 11:30