We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels - How to decide - where to stay

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels - How to decide - where to stay

i am struggling to decide where to stay and what style of property to stay in. I am travelling for the first time at end of march with my husband and 16 month old son. I have been looking around Hyde Park area. We would like to spend up to $1000 aussie dollars for 5 nights. Any good recommendations as i am starting to get over looking for an appropriate place.

please help

London
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels - How to decide - where to stay

Your budget works out to around £89 GBP per night - which, to be honest, doesn't get you much in Central London.

However, seek and ye shall find....the areas North of Hyde park (Bayswater, Paddington), have some reasonable budget hotels, and are pretty good areas to stay in.

Check the Hotel reviews section for the following, and see what you think;

Caring Hotel, Brittania Court, Rhodes Hotel, TOP Hotel, Parkwood Hotel.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,130 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels - How to decide - where to stay

A$1000 willl limit you but check out Bloomsbury hotels like the Jesmond. Also, there are some good deals going on with Travelodge, Premier Inn and Holiday Inn Express in central locations like City Road, Covent Garden and Southwark

www.travelodge.com

www.premierinn.com

www.hiexpress.co.uk

Tehachapi...
Level Contributor
69 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels - How to decide - where to stay

Be sure to read the reviews here. Some of the worst reviews involve the Paddington area. The Shaftesbury Hyde Park Padding is one I have had person experience with. They consistently overbook. Imagine how much fun it is to find out they have no room for you after you just traveled from Los Angeles. That is when I learned the importance of reading TA reviews! This next trip (May) we are staying at the Rhodes Hotel which has consistently excellent reviews but is still very close to the Paddington Station.

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
970 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels - How to decide - where to stay

We stayed at The Rhodes Hotel last July, with our 10 yo son. We had a wonderful time and really liked the hotel. The people across the hall from us had a much younger (toddler) child. So I would say the hotel is family-friendly. And breakfast was included.

The hotel itself is pretty close to Hyde Park, for running around, though it is maybe a 15 minute walk with a little one. There is a small playground close to the closest entrance to The Rhodes, and the Princess Diana playground is a bit farther up. There are lots of water birds to chase around, as well as many people walking their dogs.

We found the area around Paddington to be very convenient. There are many places to eat, many of which are kid-friendly, as well as plenty of take away places and newsagents. And there are 2 small grocery stores in Paddington Station. The Rhodes has a small refrigerator in the room, so you can stock kid snacks.

The hotel itself is a period property, so no new, shiny hotel rooms. But that was an attraction for us. We didn't want to stay in a hotel that looked just like the one down the street once we were inside! The bathrooms, while tiny, were very modern (and we stayed in two different rooms on our trip).

This was our first trip to London and I think all three of us were pleased with the hotel choice!

Cybored

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels - How to decide - where to stay

Thanks for the tips. If we put the budget up a bit will we get something a bit better. I am open to other areas but i have been told that around the picadelly line is a good area.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels - How to decide - where to stay

And probably more importantly looking for a little bit of space as we will need a cot in the room and most i am finding would be just way too small.

australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels - How to decide - where to stay

HI, I am traveling later this month with my husband and six month old son. I decided on Novotel Paddington. Great family hotel. Got a good rate through accor for $220 per nite which includes breakfast. They also offer 5pm checkout on Sundays which is great because we leave for Ireland on the Sunday night and this works out well for us. I spent days trawling through so many websites and I felt that while this is a generic hotel, I would feel comfortable there with a baby and not feel as though I was causing a hindrance if I needed to warm up baby food or his bottle. Good luck. Have a great trip.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,841 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels - How to decide - where to stay

Just a tip for travelling in London with a baby. I found that a good baby backpack carrier made all the difference. There are stairs everywhere, the pavements are crowded and the traffic is heavy; having a backpack instead of a push chair allowed easy access to public transport, allowed my baby to breath (slightly) cleaner air and to see faces instead of knees. I even found people tended to give me seats on the tube (probably because they were afraid I would fall on them).

I used the backpack from when my daughter was 6 months old to 2 years and a bit. With a pushchair leg covering called a "cosy toes" which fit into the backpack, a hooded jacket and an umbrella, we were ready for anything.

It made travelling with a baby a joy.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels - How to decide - where to stay

Hotels in London have small rooms, budget hotels in London have even smaller rooms. I think you'd be better if you book a triple and ask them to put a cot instead of the third bed.

Check this out:

http://www.stdavidshotels.com/

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels - How to decide - where to stay

Thank you all very much for your help. i think we will be all sorted by tomorrow.

thanks again