We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinion Poll - Ryanair

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
922 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Opinion Poll - Ryanair

I've read many mixed reviews on these boards about Ryanair. It seems to me the negatives outweigh the positives, but that could be because the people who've had bad experiences tend to be more vocal. I have a couple of questions about Ryanair.

Since I can never (and I do mean never based on about 15 tries at different times) get their "terms of service" page to load...

(interestingly, their flight booking page seems to load just fine. Hmm)

...I've managed to get about 1/2 way through it this morning after spending about an hour and having to unlock my screen a few times. I've managed to gather the following information:

a) I need to check baggage so I'm required to check in at the airport, which will incur an extra 5 euro fee per person

b) Each bag I check will incur a 10 euro fee

c) I must check in no later than 40 minutes prior to the flight (2 hours recommended).

d) I can purchase priority boarding for an extra 2 euro per person

Is there anything else I need to know? Any other fees I'm not aware of? I seem to recall a credit-card fee being mentioned somewhere.

Also, if the priority boarding is only 2 euro per person, it makes me think it really isn't worth very much. I seem to have read reviews that said priority boarding status is generally ignored in favor of pushing and shoving in order to be first to board. Short of doing that myself, how can I be assured I will gain 3 seats altogether? I don't much care if I'm seated at the front, but I would like to sit with my children.

And finally the big question:

If you absolutely HAD to be there on time, would you trust Ryanair to get you there? The only other option is to book a flight with regular full-fare carriers at a cost of over 1000 USD (ugh). Or completely rework my entire month-long itinerary (double ugh).

TIA for reading through this, and for your comments.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,253 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinion Poll - Ryanair

I hate ryanair and have had many problems with them so my view is quite jaded.

However, you will probably have no problems, everything will be fine and you will be grateful that you saved so much money.

Hidden costs include payment, virtually every payment option suffers a surchage, I believe paying by the obscure Electron card is the only way to avoid this.

Priority boarding is an absolute waste, some airports bus you to the plane and all you gain is priority boarding of the bus. If you "must" sit together then fast walking is your best option. Of course some kind samaritan may help you out.

Take early flights rather than late ones, the schedules are so tight that the later flights are often delayed.

Where are you trying to fly between, it is possible that there are other options.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
922 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinion Poll - Ryanair

I'm sorry. I should have included that. Flying from Rome to Dublin, and need to get there quickly or else give up one of only 2 days in Rome (something I am loathe to do) so the train option is out.

London, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinion Poll - Ryanair

Hi there.

Personally RyanAir are not the best but I've flown on them many times and it's never bothered me. They fly to short haul destinations so you don't really have to put up with them for long and if the price is cheaper I have no problems using them.

<I need to check baggage so I'm required to check in at the airport, which will incur an extra 5 euro fee per person>

This must be new. I've never come across this.

<c) I must check in no later than 40 minutes prior to the flight (2 hours recommended).>

Yes. Whatever you do don't be late they are unlikely to let you on the flight.

<d) I can purchase priority boarding for an extra 2 euro per person>

I have never done this but I'm often flying by myself or with the man and we're not fussed about sitting together for a couple of hours. In light of the fact you want to sit with your kids I would do this just in case (how old? I frequently sat separately from my parents on flights from the age of about 4 years as we flew stand-by a lot and couldn't sit together).

<If you absolutely HAD to be there on time,>

Personally I wouldn't trust them for this but more of their flights arrive on time than not.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,253 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opinion Poll - Ryanair

Aer Lingus also fly this route, they also offer very low fares.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opinion Poll - Ryanair

> If you absolutely HAD to be there on time, would you trust Ryanair to get you there? <

No. But I wouldn't trust any other airline either.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,821 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Opinion Poll - Ryanair

Ryanair do a have a good punctuality record...BUT if anything goes wrong, don't expect much in the way of help.

I hate using them because of... the appaling, non-stop blaring adverts they blast out over the tannoy. For lottery tickets, drinks, etc.

I avoid them if possible, and never take checkin luggage, so I am not a good person to ask about the other detail. sorry.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Opinion Poll - Ryanair

"how can I be assured I will gain 3 seats altogether?"

You can't be. How old are the kids? If they are very small someone may take pity on you, if they are over say 10 or 11 can they not sit by themselves for just 3 or so hours if you can't get seats together? I definitely would be spending the extra 2 Euro to up the odds.

Did you miss the extra costs for luggage weighing more than 20kg IIRC, and you cant pool that weight amongst yourselves. From what I've read that's the main way they bump up costs.

Not sure what your issue is getting their Ts&Cs, here's http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/conditions.php a direct link to them, loaded straight away for me, chances are its a problem with your PC or browser (as indicated by lockups), what are you using?

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
922 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Opinion Poll - Ryanair

Well, at some point I'll have to trust somebody. I have a lot more faith in Lufthansa than I do Ryanair, for example. But the price difference is so huge I can't help but be tempted to take the lower cost alternative.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
922 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Opinion Poll - Ryanair

The children are 15 and 13, so it wouldn't be a huge crisis if we were seated apart. It would just be nice to sit together. That really is the least of my worries - definitely not worth pushing and shoving about.

I did see the part about excess weight. Since we'll only have one medium-sized suitcase apiece with only clothes inside I'm hoping we'll be well within our limits there.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
922 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Opinion Poll - Ryanair

I did see the Aer Lingus flight, but it's in the morning. The Ryanair flight is in the late afternoon, so I would at least have the better part of the day for sightseeing before having to leave for the airport. I don't much care if the flight is delayed getting into Dublin that evening. It is more concerning that the flight would be cancelled altogether and I'd have to fly out in the morning. That would be a problem.