We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Waterloo to The Tank Museum in Dorset

Cambridge, ON
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
London Waterloo to The Tank Museum in Dorset

I am looking to make a day trip from London to the Tank Museum in Bovington, Dorset. As it stands, it appears the best way without driving is the hourly South West Trains service to Weymouth (on the South Western Mainline) stopping at Wool Railway Station for 11GBP on an advance single.

My question is: Are there faster or more convenient ways to get to the Bovington Tank Museum? Would it be more sensible to stop at Wareham Railway Station where there are two trains per hour to and from Waterloo? I intend on taking a cab from either railway station. I also intend to be making the journey on a weekday morning, and I will return late in the afternoon.

Any suggestions or hints would be greatly appreciated. I apologize if this is the wrong forum to post in, but the Dorset forum sees considerably less traffic than the London forum.

Many Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
The Tank Museum
The Tank Museum
3,238 Reviews
Bovington, UK
London
London
England, UK
Dorset
Dorset
England, UK
Weymouth
Weymouth
Dorset, UK
Wareham
Wareham
Dorset, UK
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
570 Reviews
London, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,358 Reviews
from US$131.10*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,128 Reviews
from US$139.80*
US$155.40
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
515 Reviews
from US$118.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$349.20*
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,468 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Waterloo to The Tank Museum in Dorset

I have visited the museum (and was more than a little surprised that I rather liked it), but my former hus and I drove down from London.

If trains are more frequent to Wareham than to Wool and you're willing to take a taxi from the station to and from the museum, then you may be best off with the Waterloo - Wareham journey, rather than take the one train an hour from Waterloo to Wool.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Wareham
Wareham
Dorset, UK
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
570 Reviews
London, UK
London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Waterloo to The Tank Museum in Dorset

Wool station is apreciably nearer the Tank Museum than Wareham. The taxi firm there will be very experienced in ferrying people between the two and would be able to advise you on a pick-up time for your return journey.

Mentioned in this post
The Tank Museum
The Tank Museum
3,238 Reviews
Bovington, UK
Wareham
Wareham
Dorset, UK
Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,338 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Waterloo to The Tank Museum in Dorset

I can't comment, but railtraveller has given good advice.

One thing I can say is to beware relying on the assumption that you can get taxis from smaller rail stations. I went to a wedding in the New Forest a few years ago and was given a choice of three stations near the venue. We were assured that all three had taxis. I chose the station nearest the venue (still a few miles out), which was also the easiest journey for me, only to find that the taxi 'service' was one car. When I dialled the number, I found that he was on a job up at Heathrow and wouldn't be back for 3 hours! I'd have been stranded if the groom's mother, whom I'd never met before, hadn't collected me from the station. :-(

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Cambridge, ON
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London Waterloo to The Tank Museum in Dorset

Many thanks for the responses

With regards to the post about a possible shortage of taxis at small rail stations, would it be advantageous to try and "reserve" a taxi at a particular time waiting at the station? Is that possible? I know all taxi companies operate on different rules, but would such an act be "out of the ordinary" in Dorset?

If it is an idea, how would I go about doing that? Could I use a pay phone at Waterloo to reserve a cab? I don't intend on having a working cell phone to use in the United Kingdom? It appears that the local company is "Garrisons Cars of Wool" and if they are recommended by the museum, I hope they have a sizable fleet, and maybe I can get away with calling at the station? Or perhaps I can contact the museum directly and have them aid me. Does anyone have experience with what I'm suggesting?

Again, Many Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Dorset
Dorset
England, UK
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
570 Reviews
London, UK
Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,338 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London Waterloo to The Tank Museum in Dorset

I have often reserved taxis and think it's a fine idea. Certainly the taxi I'd counted on in the New Forest had been reserved by someone else (who knew better than I did - lesson learned)!

The phone number for Garrison Cars is (0)1929 463395. You could either call them from home, or from your hotel once you're in London. I have no idea how big their fleet is, so it may be worth organising this before getting to Waterloo and finding they can't accommodate you.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
570 Reviews
London, UK
purbeck
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: London Waterloo to The Tank Museum in Dorset

The number for the local taxi firm in Wool is 01929 463395 Garrison Cars. The lads are normally there or not that far away, and are most helpfull.

7. Re: London Waterloo to The Tank Museum in Dorset

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 10:20