We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

leaving in 2 weeks itinerary almost done??????

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
leaving in 2 weeks itinerary almost done??????

Here's the draft we made yesterday; opened changes, suggestions, critiques.......

Arrive Satuerday (21:00 Stansted and to the hotel with Terravision to Finsbury Square)

SUNDAY

Victoria&Albert museum- backpacks (only at weekends) for the kids

Early lunch at one of the picnic areas in the

Science Museum (do they have any of these at V&A?????)

Tube to Museum of Childhood

Dinner (around the hotel)

MONDAY

Courtauld Gallery (Impresionists rooms)

National Portrait Gallery (Shakepeare and Hery VIII displays- we'll do the previous work at home for the kids to follow it)

Lunch (probably Lord of the Moon)

Houses of Parliament (try to get in either the Commons or the Lords) Westminster Abbey area, Big Ben...

Dinner

TUESDAY

British Museum (backpacks for the kids- already done the Greeks one -- or any of the new trails - already done the Shiva one)

Sir John Soane's Museum

Lunch (Kingsway)

Then Hamley's/Disney Store...(this is the treat with the kids after the museums)

WEDNESDAY

Museum of London

Terravision at 1:00/1:30 to Stansted

What do you think?????

Many thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: leaving in 2 weeks itinerary almost done??????

Just my opinion and I'm sure others might disagree but three museums on your first day is quite heavy going, even if you are museum/culture junkies. I'd be inclined to miss out the Museum of Childhood on that day. There's enough to keep children occupied in the Science Museum for most of the afternoon (assuming it's your first visit).

How about visiting the Museum of Childhood on Tuesday afternoon before visiting the Hamley's/Disney stores? It would be a good contrast. Hamley's closes at 8pm and the Disney store at 9pm, so there's plenty of time to do both.

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: leaving in 2 weeks itinerary almost done??????

Yes, you're right, but the Science Museum is only meant for lunch at the picnic areas they have; V&A does not have any (or so I think) and we've been twice to the Sience.

But the iadea to move it to Tuesday is good and we could fit something different for Sunday afternoon.

Many thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: leaving in 2 weeks itinerary almost done??????

Ohhh, apologies! I didn't read your post properly. In that case, your original plan is completely 'do-able'. Looks as though the V&A does have a picnic/packed lunch eating area, but it's only available to groups.

www.vam.ac.uk/your_visit/eating/index.html

Enjoy your trip

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: leaving in 2 weeks itinerary almost done??????

BUMP

Any other comments, please?????????

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,720 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: leaving in 2 weeks itinerary almost done??????

Doing both the British Museum and Sir John Soane's Museum before lunch seems too much. I imagine you'd need a couple of hours for each and neither opens before 10am.

BTW, the FREE audio tours of the Sir John Soane's Museum are excellent. You download them on to your mp3 player - www.soane.org/audio.html

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: leaving in 2 weeks itinerary almost done??????

Yes jdbri, you're right. It should read British / Lunch / Sir John Soane's.........my fault.

Thanks

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
611 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: leaving in 2 weeks itinerary almost done??????

Oh, I so agree with the other posters. You are trying to do too much and as a result you will see too little.

Is this your first trip to London?

Personally, the British Museum is worthy of a year and the Bloomsbury area it's in is lovely for walking about. I'd suggest spending at the very least half a day there; they have pleasant cafes, but if the weather should be good (not likely this time of year) there's a nice cafe in Russell Square. The pub across the street from the BM is generally crowded but is a good pub experience say for lunch.

However, as I read your itinerary, it sounds like you're just planning to hit the BM for the shop(backpacks). Have you done "Egypt"?

Myself, I think a trip out to Hampton Court Palace is a must do.

Good luck and enjoy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,720 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: leaving in 2 weeks itinerary almost done??????

> it sounds like you're just planning to hit the BM for the shop(backpacks). <

Ford activity backpacks free

Different backpacks full of puzzles, games and other activities to do in the galleries with the whole family.

Please note backpacks take one and a half hours to complete and are therefore not available after 15.30.

(britishmuseum.org/visiting/visiting_with_chi…)

I think the pack help children get a lot more out of their visit with one of these packs. The 'Hands on' desks are excellent for children, too (as well as for grown-ups).

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: leaving in 2 weeks itinerary almost done??????

Mench: this is our 4th visit (3rd with the girls) and that's why we were thinking about one of these activity backpacks and spend there a couple of hours or so.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
611 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: leaving in 2 weeks itinerary almost done??????

Gotcha! I've never been when my kids were little; the backpacks sound like fun. I guess 60+'s couldn't do them :)

Have a grand trip.