We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train or tour group to Windsor

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
20 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
train or tour group to Windsor

I am heading to London in mid-March with my 83 year old (very spunky) Mom and my 17 year old son.

My Mom really wants to see Windsor Castle.

Would you recommend taking the train and if so, where and how do we do that.

Or would you suggest we take a small tour?

Lastly, what about including Stonehenge and Bath. That may be too long a day for Mom, though.

Any thoughts are really appreciated!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train or tour group to Windsor

If you include Stonehenge and Bath the upside is you get to see all 3, downside is you have very little time at each of them, its more of a photo-op tour for 'time limited' or 'been there, done that' type people.

Such a tour *might* might be a benefit for your mother if she isn't big on walking a lot because probably that's what you'll end up doing if you just go to Windsor, its not a big place but unless you only spend a couple or so hours there then inevitably you'll be walking a lot.

I'm not sure there would be much point taking a tour just of Windsor since essentially most of it would just replace the train trip, presumably at much greater expense.

A downside of coach tours, from what I've read, you can add 1+ hours onto the start as they go around collecting people from other hotels. If you are at the start of that process that could make it a very long (and early start) day and another reason not to do one just of Windsor, you'd probably spend longer going round other peoples hotels than on the train there :-)

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,438 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train or tour group to Windsor

Trying to include Bath, Stonehenge and Windsor in one day would be too much for anyone.

It is easy to get from London to Windsor on your own.

The castle isn't very far from the train station.

Try to visit on a day when the changing of the guard will be held. It's quite a dramatic sight.

Going on your will allow you to take your time and enjoy the portions of the castle that most interest you. Be certain to see St. George's Chapel and Queen Mary's Doll House (may not appeal to your son) and get your picture taken beside one of the guards.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train or tour group to Windsor

Trains to Windsor go from Paddington (change at Slough) or Waterloo, I think both routes run every 30 minutes. Choose depending on where you are staying. The Waterloo service also stops at Vauxhall (convenient for the Victoria Line) and Clapham Junction (direct line from Victoria).

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,320 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train or tour group to Windsor

Just take the train direct from Waterloo, which runs at least twice an hour. Times are on the SWT website. The trip is quite scenic and you can get a discount on the castle entry tickets as well. You can also go from Paddington I believe. There are free tours at the castle, check the website for times.

I think Windsor would be a long half day. If you set out after breakfast you wouldn't be back till mid afternoon at best.

Bath is an entire city about 100 miles from London, I really don't think you should try and combine it with anything else unless you take a coach trip that stops at Stonehenge and all you have to do is sit on the bus.

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train or tour group to Windsor

Agree with the others, just take the train to Windsor and take time to wander around the Old Town and over to Eton and have a relaxed and worthwhile day.

If impressing your friends back home with pictures of Bath and Stonehneenge is more important to you than giving your Mom a nice day out then go for that.

Newcastle, Maine
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: train or tour group to Windsor

There is a HoHo Bus in Windsor as well, which is what I am going to try in March. It's about 7 GBP. As an aside, how is the name SLOUGH pronounced? Slow? Sluff? Slau? Thanks!

Suz

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,831 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train or tour group to Windsor

Pronounced to rhyme with 'now'.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
20 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train or tour group to Windsor

Thank you all for your ideas. I think we will take the train to Windsor and enjoy both the castle and the town.

That will be a much more relaxed day.

Thank you!

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train or tour group to Windsor

There are some things to consider in decding which rail route to take to Windsor. First of course, where ou are staying in London. If you are going to be on the doorstep of Waterloo or Paddington it would be pointless to go to the other.

The Paddington route involves a change at Slough which is easy on the way out as the train will probably be waiting on the otherside of the platform but coming back it will involve changing platforms by a footbridge, athough, I think there are lifts. The waterloo route is direct but slower.

Finally from Windsor & Eton Riverside, the station from Waterloo, there is quite a steep hill up to the Castle.

guildford
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: train or tour group to Windsor

I want to visit windsor castle in May. Can you advise me of the best route by train from Guildford. We are staying in a B&B overnight so would need a next day return. Do you know prices?Thank you