We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Donington Park??? Help!

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Donington Park??? Help!

My darling husband is apparently the only Formula One fan in all of the US. We are planning a trip to London for May 2010. He would like to visit Donington Park (I think that's the correct name?) because they have some sort of autosport museum there. I am having difficulty finding info on the museum/area. Mainly I need help with the following questions:

1. Is there such a museum? Is the town named Donington or just the race circuit?

2. How would one get there from London via public transport?

3. Are there restaurants/shops nearby or just a museum?

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,231 reviews
from US$124.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
436 reviews
from US$103.80*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,066 reviews
from US$147.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
624 reviews
from US$99.60*
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Donington Park??? Help!

www.donington-park.co.uk

We were there a couple of years back for a day of racing of old cars. I was amazed that they do actually race them hard.

Anyway, yes there is a museum. It's huge and fascinating even for a non petrol-head like me. The address you need for Google maps or sat nav is:

Donington Park

Castle Donington

Derby, DE74 2RP

There are places to eat on site but some of them will be closed on non-race days. But there are hotels and a conference centre on the site too so you will be able to eat.

Public transport - it's about 100 miles north of London. To get there it's probably a train to Derby then taxi. Locals with more knowledge may add better info but you can see train times and prices on the National Rail website.

Have fun.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,615 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Donington Park??? Help!

Donnington is not well placed for public transport. In my opinion your best bet would be to take a train to East Midlands airport (from london St. Pancras) and get a cab from there.

The museum is pretty good and has a good number of cars to look at.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Donington Park??? Help!

I think you are looking for here:

donington-park.co.uk/grand-prix-collection-m…

It is in the midlands, the nearest station would be East Midlands Parkway but I don't know if there is a bus service to it from there. There isn't a lot else in the immediate area except East Midlands airport. You get to East Midlands by train from St Pancras.

As an alternative for a car enthusiast try Brooklands Museum in Surrey which is much nearer London and the location of a very early banked track.

London, United...
Level Contributor
287 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Donington Park??? Help!

1) There is such a museum, its on the same site as the circuit. The town is named Castle Donnington, the circuit Donnington Park.

2) Castle Donnington is near Derby, in the North of the Midlands, over 200 miles outside of London. I know you have requested how to get there by public transport, but hiring a car would be the easiest option. By public transport, you would need to get a train from a major train station, such as Kings Cross - journey time from Kings Cross to Derby is just under 2 hours. You could get the train to Long Eaton. There is no train station actually in Castle Donnington so you would most likely need to get a taxi (cant find much on buses) to the circuit. Tickets are best bought in advance.

3)There is a cafe on the site (which will probally be overpriced), and there will be cafes and restaurants in Castle Donnington itself, but without a car it may be difficult to get to them.

I would reccomend if your husband still wants to go that you consider hiring a car/ or possibly staying overnight due to the distance.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,615 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Donington Park??? Help!

A couple of points, London to Donnington is about 120 miles.

If you are taking the train to Derby, you want St.Pancras station, not Kings X station.

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Donington Park??? Help!

Thanks so much for all the help. I didn't know about the Brooklands museum and that (with Mercedes Benz world) looks like it would be just as good an experience as Donnington and much easier to get to!

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Donington Park??? Help!

I am a bit biased as I have some involvement with Brooklands Museum, but it would be much easier to get to than Donington although it has a slightly different theme with generally older cars. There are also a number of planes, including a Concorde, and some of the buildings themselves are interesting. There is small Formula 1 exhibit in the Motoring Village.

The best way there is train from Waterloo to Weybridge and then a 436 bus - timetable here:

http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/sccwebsite/sccwspublications.nsf/591f7dda55aad72a80256c670041a50d/11d0cfe52540ec38802572840050d5b6/$FILE/436.PDF.

scotland
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Donington Park??? Help!

Hi. I am a huge F1 fan who visits the British GP every year at Silverstone. As mentioned Donnington is not ideal to visit by Public Transport so although not exactly the info you asked for its maybe worth considering these ideas:

Just wondering if your dates are flexible? Donnington is due to hold the British Grand Prix from next year although dates are not confirmed and if the UK press is anything to go by it may never happen! There are also many teams based around England which may be another option (McLaren at Woking, Renault at Enstone, Red Bull at Milton Keynes, Williams at Grove, Force India at Silverstone and very close by if still around Honda at Brackley). If your trip falls in line with the GP regardless of where it will be held there are many day bus trips available from all over as well as longer package trips with transport, hotel & tickets thrown in. Just to completely throw a spanner in the works and depending on how long you are over here for you would be easier to visit a European GP than try to get to Donnington museum via public transport! Spanish race (Barcelona) and Monaco GP (Monte Carlo), both usually in May are both very easy to get to by public transport from London. Whatever you decide ENJOY!

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Donington Park??? Help!

I know nothing about the "London Motor Museum", which is a privately owned collection of cars but perhaps he'd be interested in that as well:

http://www.londonmotormuseum.co.uk/

Petts Wood, United...
Level Contributor
491 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Donington Park??? Help!

Hi,

I live 15 minutes away from Donnington Park and there are two ways of getting there:

1st is train from St Pancras to Loughborough and take a taxi from there to Donnington Park - it should cost you about £20.

the 2nd is as other posters mentioned taking the train to East Midlands Parkway again from St Pancras - this is a new station that has only been open a few weeks and it is closer to Donnington Park. Knowing its location I'm not so sure that there will be taxi's waiting here so you more than likely will have to take the bus to East Midlands Airport and then a taxi for the last 5/10 mins up to Donnington. If I do find out differently I'll let you know.

If you need somewhere to stay in the area there is a really nice hotel in Castle Donnington called the Priest House, if your budget will not stretch to there there are several airport hotels at East Midlands Airport which you will drive past on your way to DP or there are several guest houses and hotels in Loughborough.

If I can help any further with local information just let me know.