We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just one pub

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Topic
Just one pub

thanks so much for all the wonderful help with planning!!

My previous London trips included brief pub stops, but nothing special. This time I am dedicating myself to making this trip special for my mother....her first trip ever.

So... I plan a pub stop. I have read through lots of mentions of pubs all over town. But if you were just picking ONE pub, just to 'have the experience' in a pleasant place that would suit a 75 year old... you would pick?

It can really be anywhere in Zone 1 or even 2, I guess.

Won't I seem like the most clever daughter as I lead my mum into her pub...

Just one now....

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,232 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just one pub

If she's interested in Art Nouveau, the #1 choice would be the Blackfriars (Blackfriars tube). Otherwise, I'd take her to the Windmill, 6-8 Mill St., close to Oxford St. and Regent St. Lovely, small pub with great atmosphere and meat pies. The beer's not bad either.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
427 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just one pub

My initial thought was also the Blackfriar - great interior, smoke free, solid beverage choices - but then I remembered that if nature calls, the restrooms are not the most accessible. Like many pubs, they are downstairs and one must navagate some steep steps and avoid hitting one's head on low hanging ceilings. If you don't think this is will be an issue, then try the Blackfriar. Otherwise, how about the Princess Louise? Its a very large room with plenty of table seating, the toilets are on the same floor, and the decor is traditional Victorian.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,826 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just one pub

This one seemed to have got pushed down a bit so let's resurrect it.

I agree with DrJ6's choices as they are both good pubs. If stairs aren't a problem for your mum, then you might also want to try Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese on Fleet Street. The entrance is on a little alley just off Fleet Street but the pub is signposted on Fleet Street. It has been around since about 1667 as it was rebuilt after the Great Fire of 1666. Dr Johnson (him of the dictionary fame) used to go there as his house is literally only a minute's walk away in Gough Square.

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
482 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just one pub

The George in Borough High Street, Southwark.

http://www.hiddenlondon.com/thegeorge.htm

Nothing compares.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just one pub

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

I have written them ALL in my little plan book. ; )

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
228 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just one pub

Definitely The George Inn in Southwark----easy to get to, just take the tube to London Bridge and walk down Borough High Street a very short way. Bags of atmosphere, and so much history! In the summer, folks sit outside at picnic tables in the yard--where they say Shakespeare's plays were staged. Had my first Pimms-and-lemonade at the George. In the winter, there is at least one open fire. Very cozy. Food is basic pub--soup, sandwiches on baguetes, jacket potatoes. One of my must-call-in stops every time I go to London.