We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Priceline

Lynnwood, Washington
Level Contributor
164 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Priceline

I just bought our tickets to London from BA.com for late Oct. We'll be in London for a week. I am thinking of using Priceline for the hotel. But the website mentioned the room will be for two adults. We have a 22 months old. Do we have to pay additional fee for her at the time of check-in?

This is our first time to London. My other concern is that we cannot choose the bed type and the hotel may not be closed to a tube station.

What is the bid price for a 3 stars hotel in Kensington/Earl's court area for late Oct?

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Earl's Court
Earl's Court
172 Reviews
London, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,352 Reviews
from US$133.30*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,124 Reviews
from US$142.20*
US$158.00
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
510 Reviews
from US$120.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$355.00*
London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Priceline

The way to get around your concerns is to pick a hotel yourself and pay the prevailing rate. Seems like you want to have your cake and eat it

Virginia
Level Contributor
185 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Priceline

Hi:

I am a Priceline fan, but I strongly suggest that you study the information at biddingfortravel.com before deciding whether Priceline is right for you. There are very informative FAQ pages concerning bidding, and you can see recent successful bids. I believe that you should find information there concerning your crib question. (I doubt that anything will be provided at no cost, but I'm sure that that you can obtain a definite answer to this question on the website.)

If this is your first trip to London, you will need to do some research in order to determine which geographic Priceline bidding areas fit your needs and preferences. Remember, you can choose which area(s) in which to bid, and you can choose the amount you bid, but you have no choice of a specific hotel. And, once your bid is accepted, you have paid the full, nonchangeable, nonrefundable cost for your stay.

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Lynnwood, Washington
Level Contributor
164 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Priceline

Yes, I think you are right. When travelling with a really young child, I do concern about the hotel.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Priceline

If you book through Hotwire, which also works on an opaque basis, you can specify that you want a room for two adults and one child. Priceline offers no guarantees that more than two people will be allowed in the room. And yes, do check betterbidding.com as there is a wealth of information there.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Priceline

Priceline might not work for you and your family. Some hotels are very good at accommodating special requests (king size bed, cot, etc.), but some do not do special requests with Priceline.

Have you ever bid with Priceline before? If not, I don't know if I'd do it if I were traveling with my toddler and needed specific things (close to tube, larger room, etc.). From what I remember, Priceline only guarantees a room for 2 adults. Not for 2 adults and a child.

However, a great website to use with Priceline is www.biddingfortravel.com.

Another great site I've had good luck with is Hotwire. Unlike Priceline, you can put in that you're 2 adults and one child before it searches for hotels for you. However, you don't bid on the hotel, it tells you the price per night, but you don't know the name of the hotel until after you've purchased it. If you decide to check out Hotwire, go to www.betterbidding.com.

Also, with both Priceline and Hotwire, no cancellations or changes are allowed. Your credit card is immediately charged. No refunds.

Personally, if I were you, I'd book a hotel that I know would accommodate my family. The Travel Inn chain is a good one. Also, Holiday Inn Kensington has good size rooms and is across the street from the Gloucester Rd. tube station.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Priceline

> What is the bid price for a 3 stars hotel in Kensington/Earl's court area for late Oct? <

I don't get this. Surely the bid price is what it is worth to you?

Mentioned in this post
Earl's Court
Earl's Court
172 Reviews
London, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,087 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Priceline

Nick, the OP is asking what is the succesful bid price. Of course you can bid whatever you like but you will not be succesful.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Priceline

Nick,

You can also overbid for a room quite easily. What a successful bid price might be is a complicated business to work out as so many factors come into play. Reading the faq on the betterbidding.com helps a great deal, as getting people on that forum to suggest bidding strategies based on rack rates for your given dates, etc., but the idea is to not pay much more than what the lowest price is that Priceline will accept for your bid.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Priceline

> You can also overbid for a room quite easily. <

That's what I don't understand. If the room is worth £100 pn to you, and you bid that and win, how have you "overbid"?

And if you get out-bid, it just means that the room was worth more to someone else than it was to you.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Priceline

>>That's what I don't understand. If the room is worth £100 pn to you, and you bid that and win, how have you "overbid"?

A room may be worth £100 per night to me, but if a particular hotel in a given PL zone has set its reserve price at only £50 per night, and I start my bidding at £100, I would have overbid to the tune of £50 per night. (Prospectively, I might have been satisfied with a price of £100, but retrospectively, if I find out that the going PL rate was £50, I'm sure my satisfaction level would plummet.) That's why resources like BiddingforTravel and BetterBidding are so important - reports of PL wins by other users let you make informed guesses as to the reserve prices in each zone.

>>And if you get out-bid, it just means that the room was worth more to someone else than it was to you.

No - PL does not use an eBay system where buyers bid against one another up to the maximum prices each buyer is willing to pay. If a hotel sets its reserve price at £50 and makes 10 rooms available, then that hotel will accept any bids meeting or exceeding that reserve price, until the hotel's PL inventory of 10 rooms is exhausted. Again, the key to successful PL bidding is to win a room as close to the hotel reserve prices as possible, which may be way, way below the maximum price you're willing to pay.