We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from hotel near Heathrow to Windsor

SGF
USA
Level Contributor
212 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get from hotel near Heathrow to Windsor

What would be the best way to get from our hotel right by Heathrow on Bath Road to Windsor?

From reading other posts people mentioned the 50B bus but how long would it take to get there and where is the closest pick up by the Marriott Hotel on Bath Rd.? I'm having trouble understanding the time schedule from reading the routes on their website.

Other posts said that it would take over an hour to just go the 8 or 9 miles, is this true? I thought it's only about 30-40 mins. from Heathrow area to Windsor.

Are there any other forms of transportation besides the bus? Taxi's seem to be too expensive.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from hotel near Heathrow to Windsor

SGF: From reading the schedule, it looks like the 50B bus takes about an hour or so to get from Heathrow to Windsor because it makes a lot of stops. If you think that takes too long, you want want to hire a car. Or, go the roundabout way and take the Heathrow Express into London (15 minutes), which arrives at Paddington Station and then take the train from there to Windsor, which takes 30 or so minutes.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,152 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from hotel near Heathrow to Windsor

It may be cheaper and quicker to get a taxi from the hotel to Hayes & Harlington station. From there trains depart midweek at 18 and 48 minutes past the hour to Slough where you change to the local service to Windsor & Eton Central. The overall train journey time is given as 33 minutes at www.thetrainline.com

Hope that helps.

london
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from hotel near Heathrow to Windsor

I caught the 50B bus from Heathrow to Windsor on a regular occaision and the journey always took about 35 mins. I haven't used the service for a few months, but I've just had a look at www.traveline.org.uk and they also have the journey time at around 35 mins. The cost was around £4 for a return journey.

To catch the bus from your hotel the easiest thing would be to go into Heathrow bus station. To do this cross the Bath Road and catch any bus with Heathrow Airport on the front (555/556/557/111/140/105). I think that the 50B then goes from stand 3 in the bus station. This journey would be free.

If you didn't want to take the bus to Windsor, you could catch the 285 bus from right outside your hotel to Feltham train station and then take the train to Windsor and Eton Riverside. it would be about 10 mins on the bus and then 20 mins on the train.

SGF
USA
Level Contributor
212 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from hotel near Heathrow to Windsor

Thank you so much for the information. If it only takes about 40 mins. we'll probably give it a try. We probably won't even get to start until around noon so that would probably get us there around 12:45PM depending on if we make the connections. That shouldn't be too bad as we can still catch the hop on/off and get a tour around Windsor even if we don't have time to actually go in the castle or the doll house. That would all depend on how busy those attractions were. Still better to have lunch in a nice pub and have a short tour than none at all.

SGF
USA
Level Contributor
212 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from hotel near Heathrow to Windsor

I forgot to ask in my above post how far Feltham train station is from the main part of Windsor? Is it near where the hop on/off picks up?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,152 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get from hotel near Heathrow to Windsor

Feltham is a suburb of London close to Heathrow. I am sure that Welshlass meant that it's 10 minutes by bus from your hotel to Feltham and then 20 minutes by train to Windsor & Eton Riverside station.

It is then a short uphill walk to the High Street and the Castle.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get from hotel near Heathrow to Windsor

81 bus to slough station and then the train from there, 81 can be picked up right outside, avoid hayes town if you can honest I used to live there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get from hotel near Heathrow to Windsor

if you get the bus into central heathrow I believe it is free....it is apparently free from harlington corner inwards and outwards so this would cover you.

ps feltham isnt the nicest of places to be hanging around either to be honest so either do the heathrow then a bus thing or go straight to slough and get the train from there.

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get from hotel near Heathrow to Windsor

The direct bus Heathrow to Slough is not the 50A but the 50B

Journey time 30 minutes

See timetable:

rbwm.gov.uk/public/020926_borough_bus_heathr…

The bus comes up the central tunnel onto the Bath Road opposite Holiday Inn, if your hotel is to the east of this e.g. Park Inn, Ibis, Marriott etc you'll need to get another bus along the Bath Road or walk. If you hotel is west of the Tunnel, Thistle, Holiday Inn, Qualtity Inn etc the bus passes the door.

SGF
USA
Level Contributor
212 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to get from hotel near Heathrow to Windsor

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Not sure now if all this commuting (bus, train etc..) is worth it for just an afternoon in Windsor. How long would it take to just go by taxi? Some one had mentioned hiring a taxi from the Windsor area as they are cheaper. Does anyone know the email address to a reliable one? Since we're four people it may pay since the taxi isn't per person but the other forms of transportation are.

What are your opinions on this idea. Or maybe just take the taxi to Slough and then just board the train.

Appreciate all your help. Thanks.