We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London virgin here - help a gal out?

eugene
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
London virgin here - help a gal out?

Me and the BF are going to London March 17-21. We will be arriving into Heathrow airport...I have no idea what area to get a hotel in! We want to do all the touristy stuff and museums and such...what section of london is best for cheap?

also, what kind of transport is best to and from the airport? thanks all!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London virgin here - help a gal out?

"what section of london is best for cheap?"

The sort you wouldn't want to stay in :-)

Spend some time reading the London forum, all the questions you asked have been asked and answered several times every day for the past several months.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London virgin here - help a gal out?

Hello and welcome!

I trust you mean you need a cheap hotel. And we'll need a budget to see what you mean with "cheap".

Depending on where you'll stay, there are many choices of transportation to/from LHR.

I prefer the Marble Arch/Paddington area, which is very convinient for the Heathrow Express and Connect.

Touristy stuff and museums are plenty and to do them all, you'll need to stay for 4 months, not 4 days. So, do a bit of research, get a guide book or check Google to see which of the stuff and museums you wish to do. Come back here with your wishlist and you'll get all the help you need to form an itinerary.

Happy planning!

Sydney
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: London virgin here - help a gal out?

Hi,

My GF and I are planning a trip as well. Going in May.

I've been told the tube is the best way to get from Heathrow to whereever your hotel is (that is, if its near a tube).

As for hotels, there's heaps of choices.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,363 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London virgin here - help a gal out?

If it were me visiting (and I'm not!) I'd probably want to stay in Bloomsbury. But as budget is the key, I agree with him up there ^^ You could do with giving us a budget. Cheap can mean a bad area. "Reasonable" can mean a good one, it depends.

If I were travelling from Heathrow, I'd want to use the Heathrow express. It's a great train service, (the fastest way but none into town) but you pay a premium and it depends on where you're staying so see point one. So again, it comes down to budget. If you are on a tight budget, the tube on the Picadilly line is the best bet, but once again, we don't know what you're willing to spend.

England
Level Contributor
32 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London virgin here - help a gal out?

You can get the Heathrow Express with goes to London Padington.

With regards to what you want to do here, like the last poster said, you need to look up on the internet to decide the items you would like to do. Museums normally take up the majority of a day as there is so much to look at.

Or you can just walk round certain areas taking in the scenery.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London virgin here - help a gal out?

Canucks, I'm a "her". :-)

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,363 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London virgin here - help a gal out?

TH13: My profound apologies. I'm sure I'll learn more about the resident members and experts the longer I stay here. Thank you for the correction.

:-)

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London virgin here - help a gal out?

No need to apologise!

My name is Thalia and it's very nice to meet you!

eugene
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: London virgin here - help a gal out?

OK, well thanks anyway. I have read my whole stack of London guide books, have been researching online since Sept and hadn't really got the info I needed as far as good locations for hotels in decent areas (under $100 USD). Guess I'll just take a guess, it could't get too bad I suppose.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London virgin here - help a gal out?

Hi!

First of all, in London you'll pay in pounds, so it will be helpful if you give us a budget in pounds.

If you have no prefernce as per where to stay, here's a budget hotel near Paddington:

http://www.stdavidshotels.com/

If you do stay there, then the Express/Connect are the best options to travel to/from airport.