We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London vacation

Iowa
Level Contributor
46 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
London vacation

I am going to London the end of March. Just wondering if the passes for different attractions and the tube are good buys or should I wait until I arrive to purchase. Also, any affordable hotels around the tube that I should be looking for as I will be booking on line. thanks-- allisongal

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,231 reviews
from US$142.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
436 reviews
from US$103.40*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,066 reviews
from US$146.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
623 reviews
from US$99.20*
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London vacation

I think I am safe in saying that the general consensus is that the pass for attractions is a bad idea - in a nutshell, you cannot visit enough of them in the available time to cover the cost of the pass - plus, it mostly covers 'secondary' attractions , you might well find you havent got time to visit the main attractions let alone the "fan museum", or the "Estorick Collection of Modern Italian Art". Yes there are some more mainstream attractions on the list but if you bought the ones individually you would actually visit, it would cost less than the pass for that period.

There is no real benefit in buying travel passes until you get here either, you'll have to pay a premium to have it shipped.

'any affordable hotels around the tube' is a bit too vague, as a general rule anything inside the circle line (the yellow one) is OK, and there isnt really any particular area thats well situated for everything and most areas inside that area are within 50-10 minutes wlak ofa tube station anyway. I visit London frequently for business and have yet to find anywhere more than 10 minutes walk from a tube station. There are also numerous buses as well, all covered by the pass.

Read the answers to the questions here on 'where to stay' (gets asked 10 times a day, or it feels like it :-) and you'll soon get a feel for the best areas and also TA favourite hotels.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
922 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London vacation

When I broke down the individual admission prices of the attractions, I found that it would not be cost-effective for me to purchase the London pass.

The only way to say with certainty whether or not it's right for you is to list all the places you intend to go, then the prices without the pass. It's important, too, to have a basic schedule of days mapped out because if you can only visit one or two sites per day, and you're staying in London for a week, you'll have to buy a pass that is good for the whole week, thus raising the price.

London UK
Level Contributor
64 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London vacation

Every month I go for a facial on Lower Belgrave Street SW1 and pass an Hotel on Ebury street called the Lime Tree. I have never been inside it looks like a very upmarket B&B. You would need to check the prices and facilities on line. I do however think the situation is fantastic you are about a 6 minute walk from Victoria Station with the underground there, and within a couple of minutes is victoria Bus station where you can travel very cheaply anywhere in the country.

Within a few minutes of the Hotel are several really good places for coffee or lunch I know, as this is a part of my routine !

i like to walk from here to Sloane square and the Kings road to do some shopping, an easy 15 minute walk with heaps of interesting shops and places to eat on route. I find it a very safe, not too busy or touristy area and and it would be where I would choose to stay if coming to London .

I live in Wandsworth myself about 3 miles away but i do think this area would be a great base for visiting London.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London vacation

Hi, Sally mentioned the Lime Tree Hotel on Ebury Street, I know it well. I have been staying at the Lynton Hotel at 113 Ebury Street since 1982. I wouldn't stay anywhere else while in London. Everything she says of the area is true. Close to the Stations, several pubs and restaurants, a Post Office and within walking distance of the Chelsea District and Sloan Square.

Going the other way, towards Victoria Station (and a little past) is Buckingham Palace, and if you're into walking you can keep going up the Mall to Trafalgar Square and beyond.....I think you would be very happy staying in the Belgravia area.

Happy Travels!

deceks7
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: London vacation

I stayed at the Hyde Park Radnor just outside of the Paddington Station last month. Rooms were small but nice. Definitely will stay there again. Easy to travel around town, had the Heathrow Express to come in and out on. Didn't have to fight with bags on other trains. A couple of minutes walk from the station, a little store to get bottle water and other things (much less expensive than in the station itself), a very nice pub about a block toward Hyde Park, about 3 blocks from Hyde Park. Post Office by the station for money exchange. Nice neighborhood after one block from the station (first block lots of small businesses and traffic from the station). When I saw a Bentley GTC and a Ferrari left on the street overnight just outside the pub I knew it was a decent location.

Iowa
Level Contributor
46 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London vacation

Thanks for the info. Will take this into consideration--allisongal

deceks7
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: London vacation

The little store I mentioned was in the first block next to the station, not in the hotel, just wanted to clear that up.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London vacation

Last weekend I stayed in Club Q at the Trafalgar Hotel in Northumberland Ave and it was a great location.

Check out hoteldirect.com and Lastmin.com

Iowa
Level Contributor
46 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London vacation

Thanks for answering my inquiry. How about a few more questions? Since I live in Iowa (the midwest farming area), have never traveled on the subway. Almost everyone here has access to a 4 wheel drive vehicle due to snowstorms, ice ,etc, so the subway will be a new experience for us. So far I have not been able to locate The Lime Tree on line, but will keep trying. I am also going to look up the lodging you mentioned as well. We are actually only going to have 3 full days to see things and curious as to if we want to get around by subway or bus, which is more economical and efficient? Don't have an endless supply of funds to spend. Thinking would like to see Windsor castle. Do you feel is worth the day trip to see this, or can we do that and not use up a whole day? Sorry for all the questions, but I am the one who asked others to go on this trip with me and do not want them to be disappointed--allisongal

berkshire, england
Level Contributor
527 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London vacation

http://www.limetreehotel.co.uk/home.htm

Tube v. bus depends largely on where you are going. Buying a travelcard allows you to use both, so the cost shouldn't be any different. I personally find the Tube easier to use because it is relatively straightfoward to follow the colour-coded map. It can get exceptionally crowded in weekday rush hours (8am-9am and 4.30pm-6pm) though.

Windsor Castle could be a reasonable half day if you set off early to get there for it opening. However, you won't be short of things to do in Central London and I'd only go out there if you genuinely have a spare morning - personally, I don't think its worth missing any of the London sights for.