We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windsor Castle or Hampton Court Palace

Kuwait
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Windsor Castle or Hampton Court Palace

Hi Guys,

We only have 5 days in london from the 25th of Feb till 01 March.

I would like to have Day-5 as a out of the city tour to either Hampton Court or Windsor Castle.

Can you please advise on which one of the two should I choose?

Your inputs will be very valuable.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,370 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Windsor Castle or Hampton Court Palace

That's very much a personal and subjective thing, you'll probably get a 50/50 split on which one is "best".

Do you have any special reason to visit one over the other?

Many tourists value Windsor because it's a current Royal residence. (The Queen still spends the odd weekend here, and Prince Andrew's official residence is here). It's pretty spectacular (looking as it does, like a huge castle) but on the downside it's probably busier than Hampton Court. The town itself is very nice and quaint, if a bit overly touristy these days.

Other people like Hampton Court for the beautiful formal gardens, the famous maze, and of course the varied hsitory. I'd say there is more of a sense of space at Hampton, so it has a slightly less hectic feel. It's a very good example of an old English "country" residence.

Take your pick, I think you'll like them both!

Bowie, Maryland
Level Contributor
352 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Windsor Castle or Hampton Court Palace

I was able to do both in one day.

I started out fairly early (8:30 ish). We went to

Hampton Court- - - walked the maze and did one of the

tours offered. Near noon we took a bus from the town near Hampton Court to Windsor Castle. (I was impatient, and it seemed to take forever,) but it got us to Windsor Castle in good time to tour it and the church the rest of the afternoon. Then we took a train back to London.

I am sure I could have spent a whole day at either

one, but I was very happy with my 1/2 day at each.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,838 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Windsor Castle or Hampton Court Palace

This is a duplicate thread. Original here: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k257…

Palm Harbor, Florida
Level Contributor
934 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Windsor Castle or Hampton Court Palace

Windsor Castle was something else. Great to visit.

Went in January with no lines/waiting. Should be good at the end of February too.

Cheers----Ken

5. Re: Windsor Castle or Hampton Court Palace

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 21:17