We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tea Time where's the best?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leavenworth...
Level Contributor
160 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Tea Time where's the best?

Hello

we are planing our 3rd trip to London and this time we want to have a great tea expierece in a fancy hotel. Any suggestions on which hotel or restaurant that offers a high tea, where we can get dressed up and have a wonderful time

Thanks in advance

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,570 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tea Time where's the best?

With the Savoy closed, my vote would be for Claridges. The food is superb and ever flowing, the service sublime and the setting just wonderful. The tea is pretty great as well.

Many people on this forum like the Ritz, but IMO it is too "glitzy" and over the top to be a true English afternoon tea experiance. I also understnad that they serve tea at wholly inappropriate times, such as 2 pm!

Wherever you decide to go, please make your reservations (for 4 or 4.30 pm) as far in advance as you can so as not to be disapointed.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tea Time where's the best?

Here is a recent thread about tea review .http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k2442949-l15355613-Lanesborough_afternoon_tea_review-London_England.html

Lanesborough_afternoon_tea_review-London_England.html

Art girl has a sticky on afternoon tea on here and I think she is planning to go for tea to Claridges ..

I have been to Ritz and Dorchester enjoyed both experiences.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tea Time where's the best?

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k244…

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,246 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tea Time where's the best?

For a fancy afternoon and a very special occasion then The Ritz is hard to beat although I understand why some people don't like it. The Lanesborough and The Dorchester are two others that are well worth considering from an ambience point of view.

Just a pedantic point if I may: You are looking for afternoon tea, high tea (as we Brits know it) is something else -

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_tea#High_tea

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tea Time where's the best?

Flemings hotel in Mayfair is now doing a "Chocaholics Afternoon Tea" in addition to their normal high tea.

Go here and click on the links for more information:

flemings-mayfair.co.uk/foodanddrink/afternoo…

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tea Time where's the best?

Thanks Glyn .. I had a look at the Flemings website it looks v interesting.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,421 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tea Time where's the best?

I know you said fancy hotel, but just in case you were considering Fortnam & Mason, don't. It is pleasant and adequate, but not a proper venue for a dress-up occasion.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tea Time where's the best?

Hello!

Although I find that the Ritz to be the ultimate tea experience for a first-timer, I will vote for Claridges.

Ritz was great, service efficient, food amazing, service very friendly BUT many of the people around me were there not to have tea but to "sightsee". There were camera flashes all around me and I even heard the phrase "GEE, look how shiny this spoon is". For me, that was enough to downgrade the whole experience.

Claridges was all that Ritz was, equally posh, a tad less pretentious and no "sightseers" around us!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tea Time where's the best?

Glyn, that chocolate tea looks divine! Any idea if it costs as much as the regular tea?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,857 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tea Time where's the best?

The Ritz does have the glitz, but the best Afternoon Tea we Talfers went to was at the Lanesborough. The hotel is beautiful in an understated way. The food and service at their Afternoon Tea was exemplary.