We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling Amsterdam to LHR - interesting way to travel?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Aussie
Level Contributor
306 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling Amsterdam to LHR - interesting way to travel?

We will be departing LHR at 10pm and having to travel from Amsterdam to LHR that day.

Can anyone suggest a means of travel a bit more interesting than just hopping on (yet another) plane?

I will be travelling with my elderly mother, and of course all our baggage, so that needs to be considered.

Thanks . . . . .

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,379 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling Amsterdam to LHR - interesting way to travel?

I am sorry but your request doesn't make sense. What would be more or less interesting? A plane ride gets your from point A to B. I personally would prefer a non-descript journey (meaning no delays, I see my bags when I arrive, etc).

West Aussie
Level Contributor
306 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling Amsterdam to LHR - interesting way to travel?

What I mean is that as we have the day to fill in, perhaps there is some other way, rather than flying, to get there. Be it boat, train, bus or ???

As I do not know the area, I am asking those that do ;-)) if it's a silly question, that's fine, but at least I know if I ask.

Panama City Beach...
Level Contributor
675 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling Amsterdam to LHR - interesting way to travel?

Hi PaintedSkies? Are you looking for alternative travel from Heathrow to Amsterdam (instead of by plane, that is)?

I hate to be dense, but I'm trying to understand the question. :)

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling Amsterdam to LHR - interesting way to travel?

Not silly!

Check out schedules and fares on eurostar.com. Total train time is 4h46 mins, and with the change in Brussels the quickest connection is 5h37 mins.

With luggage and an elderly mother I am not sure that it would be a super relaxing journey, but it would be interesting enough. You need to add in the transfer from St. Pancras Station in London to LHR as well. If you could stand to fly from AMS to LHR, you might consider taking an early-ish flight and then heading over to Windsor for a walk around and supper, which would break up your journey and make for an interesting time.

Another possibility is to fly early-ish to LCY (London City) and then make your way to LHR. A car service might afford you a nice tour of London as you cross and then head out to LHR (I am trying to figure out how to make the journey more interesting than just changing planes at LHR:)).

Cheers, Arf

West Aussie
Level Contributor
306 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling Amsterdam to LHR - interesting way to travel?

Alternative (means of transport to flying) is a great word . . . thanks..!!!

Panama City Beach...
Level Contributor
675 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling Amsterdam to LHR - interesting way to travel?

Well, you're very welcome!! I admire your sense of adventure. It's the only way to live. ;)

Arf sounds like he knows all about this! I'm a European newbie. I had no idea that you could even take a train to Amsterdam. I love learning, though!

I hope you have a great trip!

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling Amsterdam to LHR - interesting way to travel?

I am happy to have looked this up as I expect to be going from London to Amsterdam by rail in August and I had actually thought it a more complicated trip than it is (and no secret or special knowledge here as there is a wonderful website run by a train guru that lists tons of information on UK and European train travel--www.seat61.com). The Eurostar has really changed the time and level of ease that it takes to get to Europe (the connection from Brussels to Amsterdam is by Thalys, which is also a pleasant and fast train).

Panama City Beach...
Level Contributor
675 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling Amsterdam to LHR - interesting way to travel?

I'm going to take a look at that site, Arf.Thanks! I would love to travel through Europe by train! Geez, I almost cried just looking down at the scenery from a plane, on my way from London to Prague. I'd be beside myself on a train. :)

You have a great trip, too!

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,186 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling Amsterdam to LHR - interesting way to travel?

I can see your point about the scenery, but part of the reason that this service is now a sensible alternative is that the trains are fast- so the scenery flies by (for most, if not all of the journey) without very much to look at.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,677 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling Amsterdam to LHR - interesting way to travel?

Another plus for the train is that the security formalities are usually conducted in a very quick and friendly manner.

Eurostar security last week at St Pancras took less than 30 seconds, including immigration/passport checks,and everyone smiles. When was the last time you had that experience at an airport?

The other aspect is meeting people on trains from the country you are travelling through, which you don't tend to get on planes.