We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morning flight vs Overnight What to Expect?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, Maine
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Topic
Morning flight vs Overnight What to Expect?

Hi everyone! Trip is getting closer (March 16) and I am starting to have my questions. This one regarding my choice of flight. I have taken 2 overnights from Boston to London and the jetlag is, for me, horrible. This time I decided to spring for an extra night at hotel and fly out of Boston at 9 am on a Monday morning. I'm flying BA and wondering if I am nuts for making this choice. Do you think the flight will be horribly crowded? Is there any way to find out how many people will be on board (economy) before I select my seat? I realize there is nothing I can do but suck it up, just afraid I have made a bad decision. A little nervous about choosing my seat with online check in as I really need an aisle seat because I have to get up frequently to prevent this leg cramping that plagues me now. Flying into Heathrow and looking forward to the T5 experience. It wasn't finished yet when I left in 07. Can't wait to go!

Suz

London
Level Contributor
2,208 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Morning flight vs Overnight What to Expect?

Relax, load factors are down everywhere, and most people prefer the night flight. I doubt very much if the flight will be full. Enjoy BA!

Jet lag however is not so easy to avoid. It is always worse going West to East, for some reason. By the time you clear customs and get to your hotel it will be late evening - but you body clock says it's time for afternoon tea. Don't sleep on the flight, whatever you do, or you'll be up all night.

And unlike New York, London is not a city that never sleeps.

Newcastle, Maine
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Morning flight vs Overnight What to Expect?

Thanks again EalingBlue. I should arrive at hotel by 9:30 pm, won't take long to settle in and then I'll head for the pub for a couple pints before bed. Don't think I'll have any trouble sleeping because I'll most likely not get much sleep the two days prior to leaving. Alcohol and Advil...my wonder drug. ;-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Morning flight vs Overnight What to Expect?

I always take the daytime flight when possible and I find that it reduces jet lag by a huge amount.

When I take the overnight flight I arrive home at 08:00, totally exhausted and desperate to go to bed.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,016 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Morning flight vs Overnight What to Expect?

I much prefer day time flights and I would do exactly what you are doing. Just try your best to live on UK time as soon as you arrive. Go to bed at your normal time, even if you're not tired. Everyone reacts differently and you know your own body.

Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Morning flight vs Overnight What to Expect?

I don't understand how its possible to get jet lag on an east to west flight... jet lag implies the jet is lagging behind the rotation of the earth, hence making the day longer, not shorter. Overnight figures to be much better. Hop on the plane, sleep for 6+ hours, wake up and start your day. I guess I have youth and vigor on my side to help.

Newcastle, Maine
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Morning flight vs Overnight What to Expect?

I'm flying west to east and from past experience it takes it's toll on me personally. Going back home, I don't care anyway...vacation is over...

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Morning flight vs Overnight What to Expect?

You get jet lag because you arrive at 06:00 needing to go to bed but it is another 15 hours at least before bedtime.

When you fly west, you arrive knackered and it is the evening so you go to bed.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,431 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Morning flight vs Overnight What to Expect?

Good news, Suz. BA238 is operating as a 777, so WT starts in row 26. 26DF are blocked - cot positions I think - as are 38HJK and 39JK.

The only seats that have been booked so far are 27CDFH and 28C. The rest of the cabin is open for business, but if you want that aisle seat you'll need to be at OLCI at T-23.59.59 sharp.

Your flight will very probably arrive at T5B, the satellite terminal building. It's a bit of a schlep to the main terminal building, including a wee ride in a people mover. There are plenty of escalators or lifts to manoeuvre before you get to passport control - it may feel endless, but persevere.

Seat availability brought to you by expertflyer.com by the way.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,573 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Morning flight vs Overnight What to Expect?

Most airlines let you reserve your seat online as soon as you have a reservation number. I would be surprised if BA does not. Certainly AA and Continental do. I have been caught out when I forget to reserve a.s.a.p., and find the only seats left at checkin are unappelling.

If you can, book your seat now don't wait for check in and as TP says, you can now get what you want.

I agree that jet lag is much worse west to east; an argument for going around the world in a westerly direction.

Newcastle, Maine
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Morning flight vs Overnight What to Expect?

Thanks TP, I knew you would be the one to answer that for me. I'll be poised by the mouse at the exact time! Wish me luck!

XX Suz