We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report 26/03-27/03

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report 26/03-27/03

Since I'm going straight from vacation to work and probably will forget, I'll try to post my vacation in segments. Keep in mind, this is my 6th time in London so tourist attractions are few and far between.

Thursday-Bought groceries for the week at Waitrose. Some items were as cheap as home but other items such as wine were $$. Bought some yummy organic british pears as well a splurge of sticky toffee pudding. Also bought a reusable Waitrose bag to haul my load. Had to explain to the cashier about my US credit card who in turn called her supervisor who wanted to see some ID. After some rangling about whether my Xerox copy of my passport was enough, I was good to go.

Came home at 4pm and tried to manage a scientific determination of how a weeks worth of groceries can fit in a dorm-size fridge. It was then time to crash-made my plans for tomorrow, heated up dinner and feel asleep watching the telly.

Friday-After a wonder sleep(love the warm/cozy duvet it was Kew Gardens time. Weather was warm and mild, some flowers were in bloom and dozens of schoolkids around. Went up on the Tree-top walkway(walked up and down 100+ steps) for a lovely view of the gardens. The schoolkids were more taken wth the peacock that would stroll in and out of an enclosure nearby. Took a few volunteer tour of the gardens-Palm House and Princess of Wales conservatory-which was named not just for Diana but for Augusta-sister-in-law to King George. Also learnt of the parakeet invasion of Southeast England-apparently there are quite a number of them around.

Richmond is a lovely, posh(think BMW and Lexus) area and it was a nice contrast to Central London. One could easily spend days in Kew Gardens. I on the other hand walked back through to the Tube, checking out the small shops along the way. After mistakenly paying my extra zone fare in Euros(the £2 and 2 euro coins looked the same!) I was back to London.

Next up- Oxford Street and excitement at the British Museum.

Mentioned in this post
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Newcastle, Maine
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report 26/03-27/03

Heather what was the issue with your US credit card?

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report 26/03-27/03

Yes, what was wrong?

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,290 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report 26/03-27/03

All cards in Europe now have an embedded microchip and require a matching pin number. Confusion is caused by any that don't use this system.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report 26/03-27/03

Really? My CCs are not chip&pin and I never had any problem in the UK!

In Greece, only some cashcards have a chip and require a pin.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report 26/03-27/03

Just back home. The cashier was new and I think was unfamiliar with a non-chip and pin. She wanted some ID and all I had was a copy of my passport. This was the first and only time someone has asked me for my ID.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report 26/03-27/03

Ah, I see.

In Greece you can't use a CC without showing an ID (no photocopies, they are illegal) so I'm used to that!

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
7. Re: Trip report 26/03-27/03

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 02:19