We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sumner Hotel

Philadelphia, Pa
Level Contributor
158 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Sumner Hotel

My family will be vacationing in London this July.

I was looking to stay at the Sumner Hotel because of it's price and positive reviews.

Would you say it's in a good location for sightseeing, and using public transporation??

Thanks in advance

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,364 Reviews
from US$130.60*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,131 Reviews
from US$139.30*
US$154.70
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
519 Reviews
from US$117.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
478 Reviews
from US$347.80*
Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sumner Hotel

Yes, it's at Marble Arch, so there is a Tube stop nearby and loads of buses serving routes in all directions. It's not a picturesque area (though you're near Hyde Park), but I had an exellent stay at the Sumner, and the location is central.

London tourist spots aren't centralised, so as long as you're near a Tube stop, you'll have access to all of the places you're likely to want to visit.

Mentioned in this post
The Marble Arch London
The Marble Arch London
491 Reviews
London, UK
Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sumner Hotel

Hello!

I was considering Sumner for my July '08 trip. Its location is perfect and the hotel seems great. The only thing that put me off was the room size. Even for a Greek, the standard rooms were very small and I was not willing to pay for an executive.

Other than that, I can't think of any reason why not staying there!

Philadelphia, Pa
Level Contributor
158 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sumner Hotel

Thanks you so much for your replies.

I'm glad to hear it's in a central location and near transportation.

The room size doesn't concern me. We spend most of our days touring and we usually come back to the room very late.

Thanks again!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sumner Hotel

Ah, the transportation of Marble Arch is AMAZING! I always stay either there or near PAddington because of that. I don't use the tube but there are buses to/from anywhere in London!!!

Mentioned in this post
The Marble Arch London
The Marble Arch London
491 Reviews
London, UK
Philadelphia, Pa
Level Contributor
158 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sumner Hotel

Good to hear, we really did not want to rent a car.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sumner Hotel

I stayed in a regular Queen room and didn't find it too small at all. In fact, it was the same size as the room I had at the Cavendish in Mayfair. European rooms are small generally, but the Sumner certainly didn't feel too small or cramped. And it was spotlessly clean.

BTW, I hope you aren't thinking of renting a car within London - that way madness lies.

Mentioned in this post
The Cavendish
The Cavendish
103 Reviews
London, UK
Philadelphia, Pa
Level Contributor
158 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sumner Hotel

We actually have two rooms booked at The Sumner 1 queen and 1 double, I think we will have plenty of space. We do not plan on renting a car.

My husband travels to London for business and uses taxis most of the time. We plan on using buses and the tube on our vacation.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sumner Hotel

Rent a car? Dear God, don't! LOL!

TAG, remeber, it's two of us and by the time we leave London we have 3 suitcases each! They told me that the Queen room was 18sq.m. including the bathroom, so I guessed it was small for two people and ALL this luggage! Maybe they gave me wrong measurements?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
115 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sumner Hotel

Glad to see this post. We are going to London for the first time this May. I decided on the Sumner based on TA reviews. We reserved a king double room on 4th floor. The staff explained to me that the 2 twin beds are pushed together. I can report back and have planned on writng a hotel review.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sumner Hotel

I can see your point, Thalia. But I've stayed in Parisian hotels with another person and big luggage that had smaller rooms than the Sumner, and seen London rooms that are minute, so I'm measuring their rooms against rooms that I really do consider to be small. As I said, it's hard to find large hotel rooms in London full stop, unless you pay for the privilege, so I think that, relatively speaking, the Sumner rooms aren't sub-standard in size.

I'm sure that if you asked to see a room next time you're over in London, they'd be happy to show you one. You'd be better able to judge whether the two of you could cope with the size (the lay-out makes a difference too - I think it's a good use of space at the Sumner).