We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling all national rail afficionados....

London
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Calling all national rail afficionados....

Looking for the lowdown on how to access the lowest price fares for trains between London & Glasgow. I'm going to be studying some postgrad modules at Glasgow Uni starting later this year, and looking into travel options. I'll be travelling on a Sunday night (up) and Friday night (back).

I can get a cheap flight for about £60 all in, but if there were advance fares for about this or slightly more I'd take that option every time. Roughly how long in advance do they release the reduced price advance fares? Any other advice?

Glyn- I notice you did this journey recently, saw your report on the Glasgow forums, any thoughts?

World
Level Contributor
177 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling all national rail afficionados....

Somewhere between twelve and eight weeks is when the cheap prices are published first. Look on somewhere like the National Express East Coast website, or First Great Western, altough FGW don't operate on the lines you would use, their Calendar shows which date is the furthest away that you can book at the cheaper price. You will probably find that two Single tickets are cheaper than a Return.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,142 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling all national rail afficionados....

8 - 12 weeks in advance. No guarantee they'll be released on a particular date

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling all national rail afficionados....

Check out raileasy.com

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calling all national rail afficionados....

Hello Gaby,

Basically I registered with the train company to get advance notice of sales

http://www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com/

Also, don't forget to ask this question in the Glasgow forum.

London
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calling all national rail afficionados....

Thanks all, that's about what I thought but wondered if there was any insider knowledge...registering on the website sounds like a good idea too.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,419 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calling all national rail afficionados....

Got a Student Railcard?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,862 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calling all national rail afficionados....

I think someone mentioned that you can register your travel dates with thetrainline.com and they will alert you when the cheap tickets become available.

I tend to use nationalrail.co.uk to track down good fares as it has some of the most up-to-date info and also gives options of all the rail operators.

The obvious way to travel to glasgow is by Virgin Train on the west coast line, though I know there have been issues with weekend travel on this line of late - don't know if there are still issues but website will say.

National express east coast line trains takes longer as the train goes to edinburgh first and then across to glasgow, but is sometimes a bit cheaper, especially if you book direct with them, as they offer a 10% online discount. If you are likely to be doing much rail trave then it may be worth your while getting a student railcard if you haven't already got one - again cheaper to buy online.

8. Re: Calling all national rail afficionados....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 06:18