We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions, questions, questions

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
154 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Questions, questions, questions

Hi all! I have several unrelated questions, but I don't want to bog down the forum with a thousand posts so I thought I would combine into one big one.

1) My husband and I will be taking Eurostar to Paris for an evening, leaving on March 17 and returning on the 18th. Our return train puts up back at the London Pancras station at 22:34. We have a flight to Rome using Ryanair the morning of the 19th at 6:10 flying out of Stansted. My question is, what is the best way to get from the Pancras station to Stansted? We figured we would head straight to Stansted when our train arrived back in London. I found Terravision through searching the forums, but it looks like the last train from London Victoria runs at 23:10. I have no idea where Pancras station and how far it is to Victoria. Is it even possible? If not, it looks like there is a 4am bus to take us there, but we'd rather travel in the evening.

2) While in London we plan on visiting Stonehenge. We were originally going to meet up with a friend who lives in the area, but she may not be able to go and we may be on our own. If that is the case and we have to take the train to Stonehenge, is it possible to see the Salisbury Cathedral, Stonehenge, and get to Avesbury in a day? We don't mind a long day if its possible. Also, would it be worth considering renting a car? There will be 4 of us going that could split the cost.

I think that is it for now! I'll probably be posting up a final itinerary check for the days we're in London within a few days. Thanks in advance for the help!

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
603 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions, questions, questions

Absolutely possible. A few years ago my daughter and I took a day tour that included all of those plus whatever is the really, really old (like Wm the conquerer was there) fort outside of Salsbury.

The only thing I'd suggest is to avoid at all costs driving in London.

Sounds like you have a lot of traveling ahead of you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions, questions, questions

I think you are OK in the evening to get to Stansted

Trains to Stansted run from Liverpool Street station (Terravision is a bus company that runs buses from London Victoria bus station). The last Stansted Express train is, I think (worth checking) at 23.25

The easiest way to make the connection from St Pancras is to take the Victoria line to Tottenham Hale (takes about 15 minutes) and pick up the StEx there, it will arrive at Tottenham Hale about 10 minutes after leaving LIverpool St, so 23.35 or so

Should be plenty of time to make that

I would recommend travelling in the evening because as your flight is very early you really need to be at Stansted by 5 am at the latest and a 4am bus would be cutting it a bit fine - if there's any problem you will struggle. Ryanair are a low cost airline and make NO exceptions to their strict policies on check-in times - if you are late, they will not let you on, period.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,120 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions, questions, questions

Hi

Ok, from what I understand, you arrive at St Pancras at 22:34pm on the 18th then you have a 06:10 flight to Rome from Stansted the next morning. Wow! I'm exhausted just reading that! Not sure where Victoria comes into the equasion though. Are you staying there?

Victoria is a few stops on the Victoria Line Underground but by the time you get off Eurostar and on to the Underground you may have missed the last train. Your only option then will be a night bus or a taxi. I'd recommend the taxi.

Then you have a problem getting to Stansted next morning. You will need to check in at least 90 minutes before departure with Ryanair and you need to travel light. This means you need to be at Stansted by 04:40. The Terravision might just make it but you will be rushed.

Short of getting a later flight to Rome (impossible if you've already booked to change without a fee) or book a car. Are you thinking of taking the Terravision bus from Victoria at 04:00?

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
922 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions, questions, questions

Why not fly to Rome from Paris?

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,837 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions, questions, questions

The trains to Stansted go from Liverpool Street Station, not Victoria!

It is possible you saw information about coaches going from the Victoria Bus Station (which is near the railway station)?

The last train from Liverpool Street Station to Stansted leaves at 23.26 and arrive at Stansted at 13 minutes past midnight. This would leave you with a long night at Stansted airport, but you would catch your plane. The next train out goes at 4.40 am and arrives at 5.39 am, which is certainly too late for your flight.

To get to Liverpool Street from St. Pancras Station, you will need to walk the short distance to Kings Cross underground station (I think there is still a short tunel between St. Pancras and King's Cross) and take any eastbound underground train to Liverpool Street Station.

The walk plus the tube should be under 30 minutes (it is only 4 stops). The underground is still running at that time and is not a problem in central London, even that late. However, if you would be more comfortable doing so, you could take a taxi to Liverpool Street Station for probably a tenner or so.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,837 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions, questions, questions

Pintpot had a good idea about catching the train at Tottenham Hale (although if the weather is really bad, you might curse the open platform there and wish for Liverpool Street Station's enclosed space) but you will still need to go to King's Cross to catch your northbound Victoia Line train. Tottenham Hale is zone 3.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions, questions, questions

Or catch a train from Paris to Rome, perhaps as an overnight sleeper both to save time and save on a hotel (think "North by Northwest" with Cary Grant)

http://www.seat61.com/Europe.htm

About Stonehenge, there's this tour if you buy it in advance with the train tickets

southwesttrains.co.uk/SWTrains/…

a good day to go would be on a market day. And if you climb to the top of Salisbury Cathedral, they give you a free badge to prove it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions, questions, questions

Kings X and St Pancras share an underground station.....catching the Vic line from St Pancras is pretty easy. Got to be the simplest way to get to Stansted

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,132 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions, questions, questions

Terravision coaches also run from Liverpool Street station to Stansted. There is a coach at 2325, with a journey time of an hour.

The coach fare is certainly cheaper than that of StEX, so you could indulge in a taxi from St Pancras to Liverpool Street without too much of a burden on the budget.

The Finsbury Square stop is more or less a straight shot along Pentonville Road and City Road from St Pancras, and unless there are delays en route it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to get from the rail station to the coach stop.

10. Re: Questions, questions, questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 06:20