We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wifi question

Louisiana
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wifi question

In reading my guide book about Windsor, it said, "Get online for free at the library located on Bachelors Acre ----." Am not sure if this means they have computers for free use, or if they offer free wifi. Most libraries in the US offer free wifi.

I bought a super-small (8.9 inch) eee notebook and have been taking it all over the US, and thought I would bring it to London in May, as my hotel offers free wifi. It is light enough and small enough just to carry in my purse. In the US, it seems as if more and more businesses are offering either free or purchased wifi....is it the same in London? At the British Library, for example? Thanks for any info about using my netbook in London and surroundings.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
Manchester
Level Contributor
780 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wifi question

Its more common for UK libraries to offer computers to access the Internet - indeed they recieve a subsidy to do this from the government to ensure citizens (sorry, subjects) without a computer at home can still access the internet. It would be unusual for a library to offer free WiFi.

However, there are likely plenty of places that will have free WiFi - for instance, most MacDonalds outlets and most Wetherspoons pubs.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wifi question

Other free places include the Barbican arts centre, and Kings Cross station. There are plenty of others. Have a look on the search box and I'm sure you'll find some useful discussions.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Wifi question

Thanks for the info....regarding Wetherspoons pubs: their website says in one place to "simply turn on your wifi laptop and start surfing," and in another section to "select mycloud or Wifi Zone and choose your payment option." Through googling, I found many references to having to buy a drink which entitles you to 30 minutes of wifi access. I guess I'll figure it out when I get there, but have you ever used wifi at a Wetherspoons, and if so, how does it work? Thanks.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,284 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wifi question

I was checking to see if Starbucks still offered free WiFi and came across this - it's probably the most comprehensive list you'll find (scroll down the page to find the most recent entries):

londonist.com/2007/05/free_wifi_in_lo.php

Mississippi
Level Contributor
144 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wifi question

Here is another site that may help you with the question. I used it last time I was there.

www.free-hotspot.com/press_release1.htm

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wifi question

Thanks theartgirl and mstraveler for the useful info. Theartgirl's list is updated to 18 January 2009, which is terrific. I was looking for free wifi along the Euston Road and am happy to see several options. Nice!

7. Re: Wifi question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 11:18