We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Having bad thoughts about London Hotels!

Canada
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Having bad thoughts about London Hotels!

Just a vent really. I don't expect anyone to sympathise too much:)

I'll be in London in the last week of August. Just for a few days in-between other travels.

....and the price of rooms is really annoying me!! Yes I know its summer and I know thats what London is all about but still...

The decent quality hotels are off-the-charts expensive. The moderate quality (HIE, PTI etc) are rocking in at about GBP100 - 150 a NIGHT! I'm a girl who likes her comfort but shelling out the equivalent of $300 a night for a basic hotel room is a bit much.

For the first time ever I am looking at sites like Hotwire and hotels.com. Are they reliable? Good value?

Concord, California
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Having bad thoughts about London Hotels!

never used them,but I would think they are reliable.

World
Level Contributor
177 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Having bad thoughts about London Hotels!

Have used HotelDoorman www.hoteldoorman.com a number of times, and they are reliable so far. They have a good range of Hotels in London.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Having bad thoughts about London Hotels!

Yes, Hotwire is entirely reliable. Be sure you are clear on all that booking with Hotwire entails by looking at betterbidding.com. Cheers, Arf

Panama City Beach...
Level Contributor
675 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Having bad thoughts about London Hotels!

Hi! I have used and been quite happy with Hotwire. I've gotten some great deals with Priceline, as well. You do need to do a bit of homework first, as Alf suggested.

There was a recent thread on here about sales at London Travelodges. Having had a very bad experience in a London 2 star, I would have never considered a Travelodge had I not read that thread. The rooms looked just fine, though, and the reviews I read were also good. I would definitely consider them in the future. Perhaps that might be an option for you.

Panama City Beach...
Level Contributor
675 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Having bad thoughts about London Hotels!

Arf, I do apologize. With a single letter, I managed to slaughter your username! Arf, not Alf. Arf, not Alf... <:)

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Having bad thoughts about London Hotels!

Hi, Sorry I don't know what HIE, PTI stand for. I travel to London a lot for business and like a reasonable level of comfort and amenities (e.g. I must have fast internet for example for work). I plugged in some dates for August (arriving on the 20th for three nights) and got a room at the Holiday Inn Express in Swiss Cottage for £77 per night including VAT and breakfast. This is a really nice hotel, rooms brand new and comfortable, very well placed for tube and buses, cafes and restaurants nearby. Another possibility is the Crowne Plaza in Shoreditch, a really trendy area. For the same dates, a room is £100 including VAT but not breakfast. The rooms there are very classy, uptodate decor, free magazines, nice toiletries etc. I really like staying at this hotel. There's also the Novotel at Tower Bridge for £96 per night including VAT but no breakfast. Another good hotel in an interesting location. Lots of other possibilities from the ACCOR chain. So I think there are lots of good options under £100 in August, if you dig a bit.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Having bad thoughts about London Hotels!

Ooh Thanks..

HIE is Holiday Inn Express and usually I'm quite content with them - if its one or two people per room. This time there are 3 of us - husband and I and 15 year old daughter.

Too few to justify 2 rooms, too many to be comfortable in just one room unless it was fairly big and had at least 2 Queen beds.

I'll have a look at some of the others you mentioned.

What l'll *probably* do is book something mid-range now and then closer to the time look for some last minute deals and cancel the original booking if I can get a deal.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,880 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Having bad thoughts about London Hotels!

"at least 2 queen beds" .... how many queen sized beds do you need for 3 people, one of whom is a teenager? I would have thought 1 queen and a single would be more than sufficient.

For our next trip in September, my sister and I have rented a 2 bedroom apartment, right on the Thames, opposite Houses of Parliament (ie on other side of river), balcony, bathroom, kitchen, 24 hour concierge, Vauxhall station right outside the complex, et al, for £160 a night, so although London isn't cheap, it doesn't have to break the bank.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Having bad thoughts about London Hotels!

I'm a princess, so is my daughter - what can I say?

;)

We are very spoiled with hotels here and in the US. I stayed in a Staybridge Suites a few weeks ago - separate bedroom with 2 queen beds, sleeper couch in the LR area and full kitchen. Under US$100.

I know I need to lower my expectations or open my wallet wider. Its just hard to do.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,880 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Having bad thoughts about London Hotels!

How long are you staying? There are some apartments that will take bookings of less than a week (we have ours for 6 nights - and the added advantage of a washing machine, which means you can pack less).