We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paygo phones - calling from the US

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
Level Contributor
185 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Paygo phones - calling from the US

Hi:

I've been reading recent posts about paygo phones, and I want to be sure that my understanding on a couple of points is correct.

We will be in the UK for 16 days. It has become necessary for us to be "reachable" from the US. (On most trips, we use a very inexpensive calling card to make regular calls home, but this is the first situation where it is absolutely necessary for us to be able to be called from the US.)

Because I don't want to use my US cell phone number - we want to be reached only in the case of an emergency - I believe that the best option is for me to visit a carphonewarehouse near our hotel (there is one very nearby) and buy an inexpensive paygo cell phone for a few pounds, loading it with 10 GBP of "calling credit." We would use this for some local calls within the UK (we are traveling in the south/southeast of England and will be no farther from London than Dorset) but, more importantly, we would give folks in the US this number so that they can reach us in an emergency.

Here are my questions:

(1) Am I correct that there is no charge placed against the paygo phone for incoming calls made from the US? I understand that there is no charge - at all - for calls placed to a UK paygo phone so long as that phone is in the UK. Is that right?

(2) Will such a phone work throughout the south/southwest area of England?

(3) When using a paygo phone outside London, are the calls made locally (within Sherborne or Bath, for instance) still local calls, or they considered long distance, since the phone is a "London phone?"

Is there anything else that I should know about using such a phone?

Thank you very much for your help.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,694 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paygo phones - calling from the US

(1) You are correct on all counts.

(2) Yes. UK phones use GSM technology. That's "Global System for Mobile communications". It's the world-wide standard and the phone will work in most of the world.

(3) UK and European mobile phones have their own codes and so there are, generally, no 'local' or 'national' calls (some plans do have a 'local dial option, but you're VERY unlikely to be on one). Thus, a London to London call is the same as a London to Bath call is the same as a Bath to Bath call from a pricing veiwpoint.

London
Level Contributor
9,694 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paygo phones - calling from the US

The concept of local or long distance is no longer applicable for phones in the UK. Although some people still talk about this - in practise the price of a phone call to a landline within the UK is the same whether it is over one mile or 100 miles.

The price you pay when calling from within the UK depends on whether you are calling a:

landline number (starts 01 or 02 or 03)

mobile number (starts 07)

special number (starts 08)

international (starts 00)

Providing your mobile phone is not 'roaming', you will never pay to receive a call.

(Roaming means using on a foreign network - note that certain islands such as Jersey count as roaming destinations).

Tips and tricks. Store the number of people who might call you in the full international format - then if they do call their name will show on the display so you'll know they are calling.

For a US/Canada number, you would store the number as +1555 555 5555 (but wthout the spaces) against 'John Doe'

3. Re: Paygo phones - calling from the US

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 12:24