We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

£ on a Yank Keyboard

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
£ on a Yank Keyboard

So this isn't exactly travel related-but I thought I would share since I have been doing some communicating regarding my trip, and my keyboard doesn't have a "£" key.

In most applications, if you hold down the Alt key and type in 0163 using the number keypad on the right of the keyboard, it will insert the £ wherever your cursor is!

Yes, I am a dork for getting excited about things like this.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,992 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: £ on a Yank Keyboard

Good to know..

I use a Mac and it has a whole little pop-up with every symbol known to man...but in its absence or my laziness, I usually just go with GBP (Great Britain Pounds) - so GBP25.

Milwaukee
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: £ on a Yank Keyboard

On my computer (PC) while pressing the ALT key, I type 156 for the £ sign

:)

KTfromNC
Level Contributor
356 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: £ on a Yank Keyboard

Not on my laptop running Windows XPpro...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: £ on a Yank Keyboard

£

Yeah-156 does the same for me too. (Running Vista)

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: £ on a Yank Keyboard

Which is more old-fashioned: Yank or Yankee? Would someone from the South be offended if called that? What other easy ways are there to offend them?

By the way President Obama is visiting London next month, and Michael Jackson has just announced his final live performances, in London, in July.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
567 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: £ on a Yank Keyboard

I learned this last week and was really excited about it! I think you need to use the numeric keypad over to the right and have the numlock on.

£

Also some versions of Outlook have an "insert symbol" if you open an email and a bunch of symbols including foreign currency come up. My co-worker is able to get his outlook to do this but mine doesn't. We must have different versions.

Panama City Beach...
Level Contributor
675 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: £ on a Yank Keyboard

<Which is more old-fashioned: Yank or Yankee? Would someone from the South be offended if called that? What other easy ways are there to offend them?>

Yank or Yankee are acceptable adjectives for Northerners. My NY husband is quite happy if either are my choice of adjectives for him. My choices are more varied and colorful at times, however.

Someone from the South would consider anyone who called them a Yankee to be quite feeble minded and in need of empathy.

Coming from an Old South family, I had to translate between DH and my father for the first several years of mariage. Now, DH has learned to laugh when my father laughs, and shake his head and grumble when Daddy does. When uncertain, he still looks to me for prompts. If I'm in a good mood, I give him the proper cues. If not, I enjoy the show.

To offend Southerners: be rude, be rude, or be rude.

>By the way President Obama is visiting London next month, and Michael Jackson has just announced his final live performances, in London, in July.<

President Obama is an exciting, brilliant President. Ya'll will surely enjoy his presence. I don't know what to call a person from Hawaii, though, other than Hawaiian. I assume that was an implied question. Hawaii is neither North nor South.

Michael Jackson is on his own, as far as I'm concerned. Do ya'll want to claim him? Feel free.

As for the pound sign, I have enough trouble remembering my TALF username and passwrod. I'll stick with "GBP".

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,208 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: £ on a Yank Keyboard

Well Glyn, you could call the bit of bother in the mid 19th century the "Civil War" instead of the "War between the States" (one man's freedon fighter is another's terrorist) and/or refer to that still beautiful city in Louisiana as "New Orleens" instead of New Orlens", as the BBC persists in doing despite corrections from the locals who call it "Naw'lens".

Or as AOLzewski observed, be rude, which I understand to mean abrupt and not taking time for the pleasantries.

Note to AOLzewski, fortunately much of England feels the same way about politness, hence the bank queues held up by the elderly lady exchanging the said plesantries with the bank clerk.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,208 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: £ on a Yank Keyboard

Oh, and Word Perfect has all manner of symbols under "Insert" then "symbol" then under "current font symbols", which also has the sign for the Euro and, I think, the yen. Once you use it once, the preferred sign some up at the front of the list.

Fellow dorks unite!

Panama City Beach...
Level Contributor
675 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: £ on a Yank Keyboard

<fortunately much of England feels the same way about politness, hence the bank queues held up by the elderly lady exchanging the said plesantries with the bank clerk.>

That's part of the reason I feel so comfortable there.

And I must admit that I, too, am a dork/nerd. I've certainly tried to make the pound sign after googling instructions, I just don't have enough brain cells left to make a good showing! It is in that vein that I settle on "GBP".;)