We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London locals - thinking caps on please!

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
London locals - thinking caps on please!

Thinking about heading up to London on Mothers day [yeah i wanna play with my new friend - the Oyster Card!] on (22/3) to take Mrs Bo, plus 2 offspring (6 & 11) somewhere a little bit different, rather than the usual boring (not to mention exorbitantly over charged) Sunday Lunch somewhere in Brighton followed by a walk along the prom (been there - done that - like a million times!).

I've had a trawl via Google/Time-Out etc, and nothing really stood out as a must do, or particularly unique. Not too fussed where we go, but somewhere central would be better maybe? Ideally, some sort of activity/visit to take up the morning thru early lunchtime, then to be followed by a late lunch/early dinner somewhere (Pub roast? or??).

As ever, I'm open to (serious!) suggestions, so fire away please!

Those not to propose, cos we've already done them, are:

London Eye; iMax; Tate Modern; Natural History & Science Museums.

Thks guys.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,047 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London locals - thinking caps on please!

Mmmmaybeeee Columbia Road Flower Market? Opens at cracko (either 0700 or 0800), which may not appeal, but you need not get there with the Keen Gardeners at that early hour.

If the weather behaves, how about Hackney City Farm? It opens at 1000, there's plenty there to interest the Mini-Jangles, and it might appeal to you and the missus as well.

River cruise? If the boats are going all the way to the Thames Barrier they're v kewl to see up close; the DLR extension is open at Woolwich Arsenal so there's the potential of heading there then to the Barrier information centre (I haven't been yet) with a bit of green space and fresh air.

What do you think so far?

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,922 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London locals - thinking caps on please!

Does it have to be London London, Bo? I was just thinking about the likes of Hampton Court Palace? Or Kew Gardens?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,047 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London locals - thinking caps on please!

I was thinking of Kew as well, but on 22 March the geniuses at TfL have declared that there won't be any District line trains between Turnham Green and Richmond. Feh.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London locals - thinking caps on please!

Thks for the suggestions:

Not sure about a Flower market?! c'mon, its not really me...;-)

City farms? well, we live in rural Sussex now, so we get to see livestock in its natural surrounding around here!

[i digress, funnily enough, chap was walking past our house this morning, carrying a spade, had his staff-bull on a lead, carrying a small wooden box on one shoulder - inside the box - 2 ferrets!, on his other shoulder - five recently expired rabbits!- its different out this way ya'know! ;-)]

Gilli'n didn't want to drive, so not considering Kew/Hampton Crt, as we can do London Vic by train in under 80mins from home.

Keep 'em coming....

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,047 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London locals - thinking caps on please!

It's not just flowers, you silly b*gger! It is located near Shoreditch (how's that for a bit of seduction?)..... thought it might be of interest to the missus.

How about climbing the Monument? It's back in business now, open from 0930 every day, looking shiny and scrubbed up.

Perhaps the Horniman Museum? I'm not sure if you could use the mighty Oyster for the train journey from London Bridge (I don't think PAYG is accepted on that service) but you could use it on the buses, let the kids sit upstairs and watch sarf Lunnun go past.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,335 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London locals - thinking caps on please!

Hi Bo

If you do find yourself in the Columbia Road market area, there's always the Geffrye's Museum of Childhood nearby and Spitalfields Market has been done up a treat. Antiques, designer clothing and some nice restaurants. I hear there's a museum on the site of the old Trumans brewery in Brick Lane now as well.

Then you can cross Bishopsgate and hurl abuse at us bankers!!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,046 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London locals - thinking caps on please!

Have you done a Duck Tour?

www.londonducktours.co.uk/…

Loads of places for a late lunch/dinner anywhere along the South Bank incl a Giraffe which kids like?

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,922 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London locals - thinking caps on please!

Driving didn't even occur to me, Bo.

Change at Clapham Jn for Hampton Court. Easy.

If you haven't been there, it is excellent for your age children, as well as for Mrs Bo...

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London locals - thinking caps on please!

Duck Tours was very enjoyable last time we visited.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,335 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London locals - thinking caps on please!

I'm talking rubbish Bo, Geffrye Museum is different to the V&A Museum of Childhood in Cambridge Heath Road next to Bethnal Green station. I used to go there a lot when I was little.