We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

london post terror attacks-business as usual?

melbourne
Level Contributor
126 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
london post terror attacks-business as usual?

My family, including 3 kids, will be in London soon. I have seen reports in the Australian press indicating that there is a strong police presence around London town, including police with big, mean looking weapons- a far cry from the coppers on The Bill! Is this true? Are people still uptight about using the tube and buses? The image of the bombed bus is quite pervasive and I wonder if my kids will feel scared. Are people still walking to avoid public transport? What about tourist numbers- are they still down or is it business as usual now? I have lived in the UK during the late 80s/early90s and didn't seem to think that people were to intimidated by the IRA but I wonder hoy things are different now?

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: london post terror attacks-business as usual?

I went to Westminster last week for the first time since June. There were police outside the underground stations I used, but not armed. There were some with big guns outside the Houses of Parliament, but things have been like that for a while.

I must say, I didn't really notice anything very different.

london
Level Contributor
946 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: london post terror attacks-business as usual?

Don't worry, all is very groovy. Particularly today, very nice weather. There are a few extra policemen and women around but that just means there are more people to get directions from

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: london post terror attacks-business as usual?

I have continued to catch public transport in London since the afternoon of the bombings. Yes there are more police on and around tube stations and yes they are armed, however this has reduced over the weeks since the attacks. You will rarely see police with large weapons unless there has been an alert of some kind but their presence on trains and in the sations is reassuring.

Everyone I know is back to using the tube and busses as per normal, and I feel as safe as I did before the attack. Personally I think London is back to normal, and has been for a number of weeks now. As for official tourist numbers I am not sure but I would hate to think people are still avoiding the city as I don't think there is any reason to.

I can understand that your kids may be scared to catch the busses after the pictures they saw and perhaps if this does happen you will just have to look at the tube, trains, cabs and walking rather than forcing them to get on a bus. I'm sure it is hard for the young ones to comprehend.

London, United...
Level Contributor
981 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: london post terror attacks-business as usual?

We've just had the Nottinghill Carnival this last weekend - one of the biggest shows in the London Calendar, numbers attending are reported as being down a bit on previous years but thousands and thousands of people still turned up to watch and dance in the street.

Yes there may be a few more police around but most Londoners have always wanted that so it could be regarded as a good thing, life goes on pretty much as normal and the only time you may notice anything different is if you leave a suitcase or handbag lying around unattended when it will pretty soon be cordoned off.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: london post terror attacks-business as usual?

It really does feel like normal.

Obviously not for the friends & families of those who died & the people who are getting over their injuries.

Tubes are running clear, roads are unblocked, incident tapes taken down, bus drivers & black cab drivers argy-bargying & swearing at each other in the searing summer traffic jams. Usual stuff.

People are using public transport. I would say that there are more useless cyclists than usual, suggesting that some people have invested in 2 wheels to alay their fears about public transport. Give it a fw days of cycling to work in the autumnal damp, fading light & winter gear & people will return to the tube, leaving the biped stuff to those who know what they are doing <grrr>

I haven't seen a sub-machine in several weeks. So no alarming armoured troops or cops. Most cops are undercover & many are coming out of retirement to help out.

Summer holiday season is coming to an end, so it's getting busy again.

Oh yes, the shops are not doing so well because people are busy watching the Ashes - so some things are a bit different now ;-)

melbourne
Level Contributor
126 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: london post terror attacks-business as usual?

Thanks Emparr, yes it must be a good feeling seeing the Poms flogging the Aussies, if this helps to impart some reason into Waaarnie's soul, it must be a good thing!